Savannah Midtown or Garden City?

Old May 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah Midtown or Garden City?

Trying to decide whether to stay at SpringHill Suites Midtown or new Baymont Suites in Garden City. What is a better area of town? Which is a more convenient location? Which hotel is better?
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Is the Garden City location at the airport? Neither are "good" as in scenic areas of Savannah. For that, choose the Historic District. I've stayed in varied "airport" hotels off I-95, but if I can't stay in the historic district I usually choose the Midtown location. There's a lot more choices of restaurants, etc.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:07 AM

Neither location is good. You need to find something in The Historic District.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Agree - Historic District. Although I do not know location of these specific hotels, there are many areas of Savannah and surroundings that are rather seedy, and some downright dangerous after dark.

If you really must stay outside Historic Distric, there are a number of chain hotels about 5 miles or so out of town on or near Abercorn St. The Days Inn is one we have stayed in when merely needing a place to sleep for 8 hours before picking up our son. The hotel is threadbare, staff seems annoyed to have to do anything, and something is always broken in the room. Have heard similar stories of other non-Historic District hotels, but can not verify.
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Between the two, I'd pick SpringHill over Garden City. Check tripadvisor.com for reviews -- according to the folks over there, it's totally acceptable and a good value. Neither location is particularly convenient, but you can, if I recall, get a day's tourist parking pass which you will need for either one.

B/
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

This is the first I have heard of a tourist parking pass. What exactly is that and how does one obtain the pass?
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Gail, Midtown IS the section of Abercorn you are describing. Perhaps you need to choose another hotel in that area if the Days Inn is that bad. Most business people stay in the Midtown area and there are many acceptable hotels with polite staff. In fact, I've never had the experience you describe regarding front office staff in Savannah. I would NOT return to that hotel if I were you.

Just about every hotel chain I can think of is represented in Midtown. Lots of choices there. Springhill Suites should be just fine. I'd stay elsewhere because I accumulate hotel points.

I've never heard of a day's parking pass. When I stay at the Hampton Inn historic district I've left my car there the afternoon after check-out if I'm sightseeing in the area. There's a parking garage next to City Market. There is street parking all over the city. I would be interested in learning more about a day's parking pass if it exists.

If you are there as a tourist, stay in the historic district if at all possible for convenience and ambience.
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM

From the official City of Savannah web site:

Visitor Day Pass: A Visitor Day Pass allows unlimited parking in any City parking garage/lot, parking overtime in limited time zones or at any parking meter with a time limit of one hour or more for a period of 48 hours from the time of purchase. The Visitor DayPass is available to Savannah visitors for a price of $8. Passes are available at many hotels and inns as well as the Visitors Center and the Parking Services office. For more information call Parking Services (912) 651-6470.

B/
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the info, birgator. I'll check it out this week.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Don't be fooled by the name of "Garden City" - It's the armpit of Chatham county. Very industrial and run down. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Midtown. However, if you are visiting Savannah for the first time, you should really stay in the historic area. Midtown is just like any other suburban town with malls and chain restaurants.
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I would not stay at the Baymont Suites. It is not near the airport (which offers some restaurant choices) but is in the middle of Garden City which is pretty much as chubby faye describes.

Try to find a place in the historic district if at all possible.

If not, the midtown location is a good alternative. Plenty of restaurant choices, etc. there. You won't be out in the middle of nowhere (as in Garden City).
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I was curious so checked tripadvisor.com.

The Springhill Suites is #7 in Savannah. Pretty good!

The Garden City Baymont is not listed.

I found it interesting that the Hampton Inn Historic District (my fav hotel) is #2. Mulberry is #1 (Holiday Inn Historic).

The pricier hotels -
Westin - # 17
Hyatt Regency- # 32

The new Marshall House is #3. Someone was asking about it recently.

Check out tripadvisor to see if you can find something in your price range in the historic district.