Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Savannah Get Away: Your thoughts and recommendations?

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 12:50 PM
Robin Singer

My husband and I are considering a weekend in Savannah-- is it worth it? Any suggestions? I was very excited until somebody told me she was bored the second day there.

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 07:47 AM
Larry Weber

Savannah is interesting but you find more to do in Charleston. It's more compact and easier to get around to where you want to go. Park your car and don't ove it the whole weekend.

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 08:31 AM
Karen

Savannah and Charleston are both lovely historic towns. I am a historical buff, but after one full day, I was bored. We took two thirteen year old boys...and they could not wait to get back to Myrtle Beach. A wonderful weekend alternative is Hilton Head...wonderful. Its reputation of being expensive is bizarre!! We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Shipyard Plantation for $99 per night (through Travelers Advantage) however alternative specials are available on the internet. We went to the other hotels and much preferred ours. The lovely ocean view and beautiful flowers was breathtaking. It is a family oriented place with so much to do...only 1 hour from Charleston or Savannah. I hope you consider this, it is lovely and enjoyable for the whole family. I know you or your child will not be bored!!!!

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 01:16 PM
steve

Savannah is a beautiful city. If you've read the book MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL it is more interesting(they're filming the movie there now). The Ballastone Inn is a lovely place to stay and Elizabeth's on 37th is one of the south's best restaurants. Charleston is also beautiful and is a little easier to navigate. I highly reccommend the Vendue Inn there.

Old Jun 8th, 1997, 12:25 PM
polly

Savannah is my second home; therefore I view it from a residential viewpoint rather than as a tourist. Can't give you any info re: lodging. You might check out www.sys.com/traveler/savannah.htl. I just surfed through it & thought it very good. Savannah is a lovely city & there is nothing more relaxing than to drive through/around the beautiful squares. Factor's walk & the old cotton mill are also picturesque. A stroll down the riverfront (if it's not in the middle of the humid summer) is always good. They have a wonderful visitors' center where you can get good, useful information. Good luck to you & don't let people talk you out of at least one day here.

Old Jun 14th, 1997, 11:05 PM
Karen Richardson

We visited both Charleston and Savannah last month on a tour from NY to Atlanta. Both towns are very beautiful because of the preservation. If you enjoy seeing historic homes and buildings, you will be fascinated with the towns. Charleston does have a bigger preserved area but both towns have their own individual charm. We were told that Clint Eastwood and Bill Cosby both have stayed at the Ballastone Inn. Another restaurant which is very good is the Old Pink House, built in the 1700s and decorated in beautiful traditional style. If you go to Savannah, read the "Book" before you go; it will give you an insider view of the city.

Old Jun 15th, 1997, 08:44 AM
Polly

I also read "the book" and as a native do not like the fact that it is catagorized as "non-fiction." Yes, it is interesting; yes, it is based on actual events; yes, the names and stories of some real people are integral; but it is not the picture of typical Savannah life and I cannot for the life of me figure out why all of Savannah as embraced this piece of literature which paints such an unrealistic idiosyncratic picture of southerners. The only explanation is "money talks" and that book and the upcoming movie being filmed in Savannah at this very moment are bringing lots of money into the area. Yes, read the book...with a grain of salt.

Old Jun 21st, 1997, 03:10 PM
Paul L. Daniels

Savannah is a great town to visit. Many historical buildings. I was there two months ago and it looked like Paris. The flowers were everywhere. We ate at a 70 year old restaurant called Johnny Harris on a palm lined street called Victory Drive. Clint Eastwood was there with a party. I understand he will be there in Savannah for a while shooting that movie.

Old Jun 25th, 1997, 10:11 AM
Kathryn Hill

Spent a weekend in Savannah in June, 1995. I found it to be a magical city. The historical district is composed of squares -- 1 acre devoted to statues and plantings & benches. Around each square are churches, banks and/or beautiful homes. Each square is lit at night. The trees have strands of Spanish moss hanging down which adds to the air of mystery. There is an area near this where the streets are closed off - lots of cafe tables, bands and bars. I took the official bus tour of the city (about 2 hrs.) which was well worth the time. I saw streets that I wanted to return to later. Elizabeth's on 37th, in my mind, is highly overrated. High prices, small portions, too,too gourmet. One of my favorite meals, in my whole life, was at the Crab Shack. Drive east out of Savannah heading towards the ocean. Chimney Shack Road is on the right, sort of a dirt road. Follow it to the Crab Shack which is on the inland waterway. It is sort of a shack, with screens open to the breezes. I had the typical shore dinner (boiled small potatoes, lots of steamed shrimp and slices of Polish sausage. Each table has a large hole in the center into which you drop the shrimp shells. It was inexpensive, the ambiance was priceless and the food was GOOD. I would go there again if I ever return. Farther down this road is a great beach right on the Atlantic.
Charleston is not that far a drive and is also a great city. Again, I took the tour from the Tourist Center. The City Market is a wonder and I'm sorry that I didn't buy a sea-grass basket. They're a bit pricey, but only available here, to my knowledge. Lots of good restaurants, too. I envy you going on this trip--being from the North, it was my first experience with the Real South, and I was impressed. Also, lots of flower boxes, small gardens, etc. Enjoy.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 04:18 PM
kevin keith

I grew up in Atlanta and used to go to Savannah on occassion. A good alternative would be to dedicate a Friday evening in Savannah at the Ballistone Inn and spend Saturday DAY in Savannah walking arounda and then drive to Hilton Head (little over an hour) or St. Simons Island, GA (superior to Hilton Head...about 1 hr) and spend sat night and most of day Sunday. Drive back Sunday night (assuming you're not too far away!)

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 06:46 PM
Polly

Yes, it's me again. Kevin has a good idea, though I'm not familiar with that particular inn. Forgot to mention earlier...while you're walking around, if you desire to eat as the locals eat, (wonderful southern food like my mama makes) get in line at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House (anyone in Savannah can tell you how to find it) by about 11:00 AM. Dinner...Southerners would never call a mid-day meal lunch...is served family style with several groups seated at tables together...and they just keep bringing the bowls and platters of food to the table. It's been written up in innumerable newspapers/magazines and pictures of many celebrities who have eaten there (including Willard Scott, I think) line the walls. It is indescribably good.

Old Aug 17th, 1997, 08:53 AM
Polly

Bouncing this to the top for Robert