Savannah, GA/Boston, MA/Key West, FL or Portland, Maine?? 2 indecisive girls:

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 girls from AZ planning to travel next month from Sept. 4-7. We just can't decide on where to go. We came up with these destinations-Savannah, Georgia/Boston, Mass./Key West, FL/ or Portland, Maine. We are in our mid 20's. My friend loves the beach but won't wear a swim suit so we wonder if there is enough to do in Key West besides hanging at the beach. Wonder if there is enough to keep us occupied in Savannah and Portland and if Boston would be too hectic for only a 3 day trip. Any advise is GREATLY appreciated!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Don't know about Savannah. Boston I understand is amazingly busy the first couple weeks of September due to so many college students coming into town. Key West would be very hot and it is also hurricane season. Portland, ME could be fun. They say the wharf area has lots to do. The weather can go either way though. Last year it was horrendously hot there the first week of Maine...we were there then! Right now it is cold and rainy...you just never know. It really depends on your interests and ability to pay.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
GoTravel

Not any good beaches in Key West so everyone hangs out by their pool.

Key West, good town to party, get out on the water, catch some rays, and eat.

Boston, good town to sightsee, shop, eat, soak in some culture, and party.

Savannah, good town to sightsee, eat, party, soak in some culture.

Key West and Savannah will still be very hot in September, it is their summer.

Boston will start to cool off and it will be nice at night. Not so Key West and Savannah.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

For that limited amount of time the first thing I would do is check flights. That will likely eliminate Key West & Portland. In lieu of Savannah, I'd suggest Charleston. For the best weather, Boston. Based on your time & timeframe, I'd choose Boston.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm able to get flights to all of those destinations. I have now eliminated key west and savannah. Now I just need to decide between boston and portland. I'm wondering if I have enough time to fly into portland and stay a night there, then the next day drive to boston and stay a night and then the 3rd night stay in portland again. Or is this trying to do too much?
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
yk

It'll be a waste of your time driving back and forth between Portland and Boston.

Pick one or the other, not both.

Boston will be fine for a 3-day trip. Obviously you won't be able to see "everything" but should get a good impression of it.

Having said that, Boston in early Sept is chock full of students and parents, and you may have a difficult time finding affordable lodging.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Most of the parents will be gone by Sept 4, the OP's arrival date. Labor Day is early this year (Monday Sept. 1). I think everybody but Harvard will be in session by then.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM

I agree about it not making sense to go to Boston from Portland for such a short trip. We own in S. Maine and it is 1 hour 15 minutes from Logan Airport. South Portland is 45 minutes north of us, so that means 2 hours. stick to Maine and go to Portland water front area, maybe Kennebunk or Ogunquit.....Freeport isn't far either if in the shopping mood.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I'd fly into either Boston or Portland Maine.

Boston, stay in the city and explore, maybe take a boatride or train to Rockport for a few hours.

Portland, rent a car and do some area exploring as well as the wonderful Old Portland.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:10 AM

It would be difficult to book something decent in Key West mow for September, especially if your vacation spans a weekend.

Pjk
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I was thinking more along the lines of direct v. connecting flights (& time spent flying). You can likely get to Boston direct, but probably none of the others.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM

I was just in both Portland and Boston ... both great, but I'd say Boston ...