Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Savannah (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/savannah-665227/)

Budman Dec 19th, 2006 04:50 PM

Savannah

Just got a burr up my butt and booked airfare to Savannah over President's Day Weekend. We always talked about going there, heard so many good things about it from our friends/associates, so I decided to "just do it." Booked a room at the Hyatt, but hoping we can get a better price deal on priceline.

Any good walking tours or sights that are must sees? Restaurants recommendations? As far as price, might splurge one evening, but looking for local places with reasonable prices. ((b))

Scarlett Dec 19th, 2006 05:07 PM

Mmmm I like it when we get those burrs, spur of the moment trips are always fun.

We stayed at the Hyatt, I liked it a lot. Room was a corner room so we had lots of windows to see the main street and the river, see if you can request one.

You will most likely spend an hour or 2 wandering on River Street, the most touristy part of the place (IMO) but it is where you will find Pralines!! Being made before your eyes, you can stop in and get samples that come out fresh all the time..Send some to me, please.

I loved our weekend there, I had a trip report somewhere..
Olde Pink House is the best place for dinner (that we went to)
Garibaldis
and my mind has gone blank :(

We avoided Paul Deen/Lady & sons and did not take a tour but considered it.
We ended up just walking through town..but the Ghost Tours look like fun. They will take you by the Olde Pink House and tell you how different ghosts inhabit different rooms in the restaurant.

I suggest the Museum, Telfair. It is lovely and some of the paintings are wonderful.

Go to E.Shavers bookstore, my friend OO told me about it..we loved it. A great bookstore and fun to eavesdrop on the employees who chat about local happenings..and it is a wonderful little store.

Just start walking from the hotel past all the squares..you will end up at Forsyte Park ( I think)..

http://tinyurl.com/yz2yjr

Take plenty of film or the battery to that digital, it is a city made for photographers!
Hope this helps gets you started :)

Scarlett Dec 19th, 2006 05:09 PM

Here it is:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34507145

Scarlett Dec 19th, 2006 05:10 PM

Sorry, this is the trip report (sheepish Scarlett)

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34508031

Budman Dec 20th, 2006 05:05 AM

Thanks Scarlett, lots of good information. I think I would be interested in the Haunted Pub Tour.

Don't want to spend $100 for lunch/dinner, except maybe one night, the Old Pink House??? Looking for locals places for shrimp/crap/seafood stuff.

I'm thinking I should ditch the rental car? With the cost of the rental and cost of parking, is there any reason to have a car to take an afternoon trip? Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? I would think there would be. ((b))

GoTravel Dec 20th, 2006 05:45 AM

You'll LOVE Savannah Budman! One of the most beautiful cities in the US.

I love the Hyatt. The location cannot be beat.

TexasGirlTravels Dec 20th, 2006 05:59 AM

Definitely go to the Olde Pink House for dinner. It's worth it. My favorite meal in Savannah.

Call the Kehoe House and ask about the walking tours with Earl. He's this older local guy that just takes people out on a 2-3 hour walking tour. It was the BEST walking tour. He knows everyone and he knows all the Savannah history, including some good gossip. (o:

You'll love Savannah!

owlwoman Dec 20th, 2006 06:10 AM

Hi Budman,
I would skip the rental unless you want to take a day trip to Hilton Head, which is just one big resort island. Savannah is very small and compact, we took the trolley tour, which was fun and points out a lot of the sights. It's a perfect place for a 3 day weekend, anymore time I'd head to Charleston. Have fun!

IamBooth Dec 20th, 2006 06:35 AM

Olde Pink House for the spluge night, Budman.

Have you read "the book"? This is a must, or at least see the movie. Reading "the book" would be better.

Visit the Mercer House and take the guided tour.

Bring your walking shoes and stroll the squares.

Don't be afraid of the "tourist" areas at River Street.

starrsville Dec 20th, 2006 07:16 AM

Dinner at Pink House. Drinks first or dessert after in the downstairs tavern - enjoying the piano music. Try the praline basket ice cream dessert.

Lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.

Trolley tour on Old Town Trolley.

Carriage ride - you can request a private carriage ride for two.

I like to shop for unique, handmade items at the SCAD gift shop. The Grypphon Tea Shop is across the street.

Gelato is good at City Market.

Pralines are good on River Street.

Otherwise, just give City Market and River Street a "look-see" but spend time strolling the squares. The "real" Savannah.

GoTravel Dec 20th, 2006 07:20 AM

The Haunted Pub Crawl is fun providing they actually let you order a beer.

Giovanna Dec 20th, 2006 07:26 AM

Budman: Here are some odds and ends from a file I put together:

We very much enjoyed our trip to Savannah last September. We stayed at the Ballastone Inn, a bit of a splurge for us but worth every penny. As always, we didn't manage to do everything we had hoped to, but we did manage to see and do quite a bit in the time there.

I would recommend the Old Town Trolley, hop-on-hop-off tours. You can combine tickets for this and the river cruise which we did. The trolley tour starts near the Visitor's Center and it would be a good idea to go there first (see below). We didn't go until our last day. I'm glad we did finally go as we enjoyed the short movie and the museum. Some interesting exhibits and facts about the revolutionary war I was not aware of. Forrest Gump's bench and suitcase are there, as well as Johnny Mercer's Oscar and Grammy, and pictures of him as he grew up.

The river cruise is okay. We were surprised to learn that Savannah is the 3rd or 4th largest port in the U.S.
Before we took the cruise we window shopped on River Street, and stopped in the huge River Street Sweets store. All kinds of candy. The pralines were good but different from the ones in New Orleans.

We visited Bonaventure Cemetary, which I consider a must. It is very large and maps can be obtained in the office.

We did a day trip to Beaufort, S.C. and also went to Tybee Island. We climbed to the top of the lighthouse and had lunch at the Crab Shack afterward. Again a must in my opinion. The food is good and inexpensive, and a different dining experience than we ever had. Just plain fun.

We went to Telfair Museum which is excellent. Saw the Bird Girl Statue, and quite a number of very good paintings.

Savannah Information Visitor Center: 301 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. 912-944-0455
Open Mon/Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm; Sat/Sun 9:00am to 5:00pm
Staff friendly and efficient. The center offers organized tours, self-guided walking, driving with excellent maps and brochures. Located in the former Central Georgia Railroad Station. Said to be a good place to start to pick up free maps, brochures and discount coupons for attractions. There is a bookstore and gift shop with publications on the area. Small snack café which has very good coffee. The adjacent train shed contains the Savannah History Museum, where you can see a multimedia presentation and an 1890 locomotive ($3.00 fee) (Forest Gump’s bench here).

Restaurant suggestions would include Vic's on the River, near the Cotton Exchange Building; lunch at Mrs. Wilkes was wonderful (21 dishes were passed) go early as the people start lining up--no reservations; the Crab Shack in Tybee. We never got to the Olde Pink House but it is well recommended.

Savannah is a very interesting city that we would like to visit again sometime soon.

Scarlett Dec 20th, 2006 07:59 AM

Giovanna reminded me-while having breakfast in the Hyatt, you might see a ship/freighter coming up/down the river..when they pass the Hyatt dining room (huge floor to ceiline windows) you can look right into the pilot house :) Quite a sight.
And I second the suggestion to tour Bonaventure Cemetary.
<i>don't forget my pralines!</i>

iceeu2 Dec 20th, 2006 09:15 AM

Budman, I got this joke in todays email. Thought it was appropriate for your upcoming trip. Hope this doesn't happen to you! Changed a word to keep from getting this deleted. Also, hope no one takes offense as that is not the intent!

A very gentle Southern lady was driving across the Savannah River
&gt;Bridge in Georgia one day.
&gt;
&gt;As she neared the top of the bridge, she noticed a young man
&gt;afixin' (ready) to jump.
&gt;
&gt;She stopped her car, rolled down the window and said, &quot;Please
&gt;don't jump, think of your dear mother and father.&quot;
&gt;
&gt;He replied, &quot;Mom and Dad are both dead; I'm going to jump.&quot;
&gt;
&gt;She said, &quot;Well, think of your wife and children.&quot;
&gt;
&gt;He replied, &quot;I'm not married and I don't have any kids.&quot;
&gt;
&gt;She said, &quot;Well, think of Robert E. Lee.&quot;
&gt;
&gt;He replied, ''Who's Robert E. Lee?''
&gt;
&gt;She replied, ''Well bless your heart, just go ahead and jump, you
&gt;dumb a$$ Yankee.&quot;

starrsville Dec 20th, 2006 09:24 AM

Very funny, i2! :-)

SusieQQ Dec 20th, 2006 01:33 PM

I had a wonderful private walking tour with Bobby Davis:http://www.exploresavannah.com/

Since you are a resident of the Jersey Shore, don't waste your time going to Tybee Island. The day I went out there could have been better spent IMHO.

Budman Dec 20th, 2006 01:44 PM

Well, Mrs. Wilkes is out for lunch since I'll be arriving in the afternoon on Friday. Are they open for dinner?

I was looking at Tybee Island for lunch at the Crab Shack and maybe a walk up the lighthouse. Not worth it?

iceeu2 - for the record, I was raised South of the Mason-Dixon Line. :-)

Looks like the Olde Pink House for dinner on Sat night. Too early to make a reservation?

Thanks for all the great stuff. ((b))

Brian_in_Charlotte Dec 20th, 2006 01:47 PM

If you've got 3 full days, and the weather's good, drive out to Tybee. If you've got less, stay in Savannah.

But don't let Tybee be the only reason you rent a car.

rizzo0904 Dec 20th, 2006 02:02 PM

I also LOVE the Olde Pink House!!

starrsville Dec 20th, 2006 02:12 PM

Tybee is okay. I like to go out early for a sunrise walk on the beach and then breakfast at The Breakfast Club.

Crab Shack is fun - but lots of good seafood in town too.

I'd make reservations at the Pink House if they'll take them.