Must see on Maui, Recommended Itinerary"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the must see's while on Maui? Do you have a recommended itinerary? How much of the time should be scheduled up front vs on the fly during the vacation?

Are their savings by purchasing activities up front and who would you recommend?

I'm staying at the Four Season's for 7 days and looking for another hotel for the last 3 days. Your recommendation would be appreciated.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM
bonniebroad

No1jimmyd, I hope you found much better rates at the Four Seasons than you anticipated paying at the Fairmont! If you're going to change hotels for three days, I would recommend the Kapalua Bay Hotel...... for a slightly cooler, more northern location/ experience on the island. And it is gorgeous up there! Or a neat little B&B up in cowboy country........... if you like neat little B&B's! Hope you will have a wonderful trip...

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 09:13 AM

My best memory of our first trip to Maui was a sailboat charter (4-5 hrs)which I highly recommend it. We found the charter at the marina in old Lahaina. It was a 45'sailboat, just 2 two couples plus the captain and his first mate. They let us decide what we wanted to do so we did some whale watching then anchored in a little bay off Lanai for lunch (included lobster the first mate caught while we were anchored...delicious!) and snorkeling. But the best part was when the dolphins joined us! There were about 45, including babies and we swam with them for over an hour. I don't know how to adequately describe the experience. It was just so beautiful, a bit surreal, and one of the most remarkable experiences we've ever had! While there's no guarantees you would have the same experience, it is the best memory I have from our many trips to Hawaii and I can highly recommend it. A great day!

The trip to Hana is another fun day. Absolutely beautiful. For a very different experience for your last 3 days, you might consider Hana. It's often referred to as "what Hawaii used to be." Rather sleepy and slow paced but lovely. Highly recommend the Hotel Hana.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM

We did the Road to Hana on our last day. It was definitely a highlight. My one recommendation is to leave early if you plan to do it in a day. My husband and I left the hotel around 6 am. We stopped often and saw everything we wanted to - while staying ahead of the traffic the whole time.

We also snorkeled Molokini. That was another highlight. Booked that when we got there.

Eat at Mama's Fish House one night. Schedule reservations before you go.

And see a luau. We booked the Old Lahaina Luau in advance.

Parasailing was fun too.

Your hotel can probably help you with excursions.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Hi,
We were at the 4S last year as well. One neat thing, they offer free snorkel rental for one hour each day right on the beach outside the hotel. The snorkeling there is first rate and great for beginners, definitely give that a try. Also, the only must see I would say is WARREN AND ANNABELLE'S MAGIC SHOW. It sounds strange, but trust me, this show is the neatest blend of wow, how'd he do that and also just pure howling laughter that you can find. It was a great time and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Have a great trip! Mahalo!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I agree that if you have 3 extra nites, stay in Kapalua. It is a gorgeous area and more peaceful and quiet than other areas in Maui. The Ritz Carlton in Kapalua is my favorite but the Kapalua Bay Hotel is also great.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM

We recently spent 6 days on Maui. The first two were in Maui at the Hotel Hana-Maui which is wonderful. I don't know that I would want one more day there, unless you are into the spa services that they offer. It is just so much more enjoyable to do the road to Hana and stay. The next day we drove further on that road and it was so beautiful.

Our favorite restaurant in the Wailea area was Sarento's on the Beach. Fabulous food, service and location. It looks like nothing from the street.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 05:47 PM

I agree with others that Kapalua Bay Hotel is a good choice. The Bay is beautiful. Haven't stayed at the Ritz next door but it is also in a good location.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:34 AM

We stayed 2 nights at Bamboo Inn villa in Hana and absolutely loved it! I could spend a week there. We loved road to Hana, Oheo Gulch National Park including big hike up through bamboo forest, stopping by Hamoa Beach and the charm of little Hana. Be sure to bring food though if you go!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM

I would spend the last tree nights in Hana. Some friends just back for the Hotel Hana Maui and loved the spa. There is little in the way of man-made attractions there...which is a good thing!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Just got back from 5 nights in Maui. Sunrise over Haleakala is beautiful. If you don't mind coasting 20MPH on a bike, going through 5 different eco systems from the summit to the sea was a unique experience. Maui Downhill seemed to have the safer guides.

Whatever hotel you choose, DON'T stay at the Hyatt. Crowded, noisey, and overridden with kids. Don't make the same mistake we made.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM
bonniebroad

dragon95, maybe you could post a trip report. In another thread, someone was just asking about whether they should stay at the Hyatt or the Westin, etc. Your info could be very valuable to them! I agree, the sunrise at Haleakala is amazing!

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM

We are going to Maui in Sept. and spending the last 3 days of our trip at the Hidden Cottage in Upcountry, it was featured in travel and leisure magazine. It is on a flower farm, and looks absolutely beautiful. Very secluded and romantic. Have fun, we can't wait to go.