Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Saratoga hotel: Gideon Putnam or Inn at Saratoga?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my teenage daughter and I, which hotel would you recommend? We're touring Skidmore College, and we'd like a good look feel for Saratoga Springs.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Inn at Saratoga. I've stayed there and it was lovely - very, very nice. Have friends who stayed at Gideon Putnam and although it's nice, it's clear over on the other side of the park that SPAC is located in - NOT in the village!

Inn at Saratoga is a short walk from "downtown" Saratoga and definitely the better choice. Be sure to try dinner at Hattie's on Phila Street. Moderately priced and excellent Southern cuisine with a moder flair. Very funky and fun.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I'm from the area, and also recommend "The Inn", especially if you want to experience "the flavor" of beautiful downtown Saratoga. The Gideon will probably be more relaxing, and quiet, but isolated as well. Parking in downtown can be a real pain, but you'll already be parked for your short walks from "The Inn". Owen's dining suggestions are great, and you'll find many other nice places as well. I don't know why I don't visit the Spa City more myself. If driving, bring bottles & take home some of the famous water for your friends & family, there's several springs available.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. I was leaning toward the Putnam, but I do want the downtown Saratoga Springs experience. I was able to book a room at the Inn at Saratoga for this coming Tuesday.

And thank you for recommending Hattie's. I'm not sure my daughter will like southern food, though she might--any other casual dining recommendations?

thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:49 AM

How about Indian? "Little India" I enjoy the burgers & steaks at "Professor Moriarty's". Download some guides at http://www.saratogachamber.org/guides/guides.html (you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader) Really, you'll find a great choice of dining.

Oh yes ... BIG sandwiches and always a great atmosphere at "The Parting Glass" and maybe a few rounds of darts! Enjoy!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Hattie's has something for nearly everyone on their menu. they're legendary for their fried chicken (rightly so) but a younger woman took over from the retiring owners a few years back. She kept the traditional items but expanded the menu with some fish, salads and grilled items. They have a great and funky little courtyard in the back that's a good place to sit.

There's a place on Broadway just up from Phila that has good fresh pasta dishes - the name escapes me. I also really like Bruno's - it's a low key family oriented Italian place (moderate and casual) out across from the racetrack. Their wood fired pizza (which they've been making that way since long before people like Wolfgang Puck made it trendy) is excellent.

If you can fit it in, a soak in the mineral baths is really relaxing and worth the time and money. There are chi-chi (i.e. expensive) places like Crystal Spa but the Roosevelt Baths on the SPAC grounds are cheap and good.