Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Question! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-question-338564/)

tracker Jul 18th, 2003 03:46 PM

Santa Question!

I am staying in a hotel about 5 miles from downtown Santa Fe for a couple of nights and will be renting a car. Can you spend all looking around downtown Santa fe? and therefore having a car would not be required? Also I'm thinking of renting a car from Albuquerque; how is the parking downtown Santa Fe if I take this option and drive there and park for the day? I will be in Santa Fe midweek just before the big Indian Market, so would expect things to be quite busy?

E Jul 18th, 2003 03:52 PM

You could easily spend a couple of days in Santa Fe alone and not run out of things to do, especially if you take any time for museums or shopping or gallery crawling, and you would not need a car to do so. It's a pretty compact area. But I'm a little confused: is it that you're considering staying in ABQ, and going to SF for the day, or driving to downtown SF from your hotel...? Anyway, I can't help you with parking questions, because although we rented a car, we left it at the Inn on the Alameda while exploring SF, and only used it to drive out of town, to the pueblos, etc. Sorry!

tracker Jul 18th, 2003 04:05 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, to clarify , I will be staying in a hotel 5 miles from downtown.

BayArea Jul 18th, 2003 04:06 PM

In my opinion, parking in downtown Santa Fe SUCKS. You have to circle around to find a space. There are not that many parking lots, and they do get full. Indian Market is especially bad.

If you're staying 5 miles from downtown, how are you going to get downtown? Does Santa Fe's limited bus service cover the area your hotel is in?

Once you are actually downtown, you shouldn't need your car. Downtown Santa Fe is great for walking, tho you will walk a lot.

I really don't understand your question about Albuquerque.

tracker Jul 18th, 2003 08:12 PM

Thanks again.
My apologies, now that I read it again, it really doesn't make alot of of sense does it. I fly into Albuquerque and am looking at renting a car from there, and then drive to Santa Fe hotel located 5 miles from downtown. I will be in and around Santa Fe for 2 to 3 days, and then return the car to Albuquerque airport. I guess I feel I'm wasting a days rental if the car will be parked at the hotel all day while downtown, and was just thinking of my options.

jv827 Jul 18th, 2003 08:54 PM

How disappointing! I clicked on this post thinking it was a fun Friday Christmas question. Oh well :(
Sorry, wish I knew more about Santa Fe so I could help!

BayArea Jul 18th, 2003 10:03 PM

ah, okay, now your question makes sense. I don't actually think that it's a waste to rent a car and drive to Santa Fe. The convenience you get for being able to dictate your own schedule is stupendous.

You may actually use the car in SF during the evening, it'll just be a pain during the day. One trick you might try is getting an early start and parking as near to down town as you can.

BrimhamRocks Jul 18th, 2003 10:49 PM

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa....

Oh, you mean Santa Fe. :)

obxgirl Jul 19th, 2003 04:14 AM

You could easily spend a couple of days exploring the shops, galleries and museums in downtown SF and up Canyon Road. In that regard, a car is not a necessity for seeing SF. Parking is a pain but it's doable especially if you arrive early. There is public tranport although I seem to recall it has some restricted hours and doesn't run on Sunday.

Have you checked with your hotel? Do they have a shuttle to the Plaza?

There's lots to do and see on the outskirts of SF. The International Museum of Folk Art and Shidoni Sculpture Gardens, Trader Jack's Flea Market, and the Santa Fe Opera are examples of places you'd need a car to visit.

Bottom line, if your budget allows for it, I'd go for renting a car. You'll have much more flexibility.

Elsha Jul 19th, 2003 07:45 AM

I'd would certainly rent a car. There are several city public parking lots/garages around the plaza area. My favorite is on San Francisco. I think it's about $7 per day, and it's very close to the plaza. There are also public restrooms there, which can be very important information since they are hard to locate around town. Be sure to check out the visitors center... I think it's on Santa Fe Trail... there are plenty of signs to help to find it. They can help with items that interest you. There is also limited free parking there, but in recent years it's been hard to come by. Depending on your interests, you will find plenty to do in Santa Fe.

fball Jul 19th, 2003 07:56 AM

That's a great time to be in Santa Fe but I can't imagine wandering around town for 5 days. There is a lot to do outside of Santa Fe that you would miss if you just stayed in town. Taos is about 1 1/2 hours away, Bandalier is just outside Santa Fe, Ghost Ranch is not far, Chimayo is a delightful place to go for lunch. Almost anywhere you stay in the Southwest requires a car as things are rather spread out. Five miles does not seem like far from Santa Fe but it is. Parking is not a big deal in town. Renting a car from Albuquerque is the thing to do as you can take back road to Santa Fe (the Turquoise trail). It is a lovely drive. Good luck!

tracker Jul 19th, 2003 04:54 PM

Thanks again