Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Monica Hotels!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-monica-hotels-530505/)

joan1 May 20th, 2005 09:44 AM

Santa Monica Hotels!!!!!

Help!!!!! I need some info on hotels decent ones in santa Monica and reasonable!!! thanks joan

GLMDesigns May 20th, 2005 09:46 AM

Do a search on Santa Monica and you will see many posts giving advice on hotels in that area

rjw_lgb_ca May 20th, 2005 09:49 AM

You're giving us practically nothing to work with....

-- Define "decent".
-- Define "reasonable".
-- Do you want to be near the beach?

My "reasonable" in Santa Monica is anything between $100 and $300 a night. This is a popular and expensive area. And I'm telling you now-- without using Priceline, anything less than $100 a night will either be a dump or in a fairly unattractive location, or both.

suze May 20th, 2005 09:59 AM

joan- if you type the words "santa monica hotels" in the search box above, there are 19 different threads on the subject here on Fodors.

read them first and then you can ask a more specific question if you need details or further information.

sandypaws3 May 20th, 2005 10:07 AM

My husband and I took our son to Santa Monica, from where he lived in Phoenix, and we stayed in the Comfort Inn on Santa Monica Blvd. It was not too far from the ocean, though a long walk. I put in June 1 as a date, and the price came up $89.00 to $119.00. As I recall, it was clean and comfortable, with a nearby pub.

Sandy

rjw_lgb_ca May 20th, 2005 10:19 AM

Sandy, that Comfort Inn is <b>2 miles</b> from the shore. It's even farther that that dumpy Best Western at SM and 20th (catty-corner from St. John's Hospital). I consider that area really West LA, not Santa Monica. Clean and cheap it may be, but it's barely &quot;Santa Monica&quot;. And it's in the middle of a thoroughly commercial stretch of Santa Monica Blvd. It's cheap because it's not the prettiest area-- not unsafe, just not pretty.

joan, please come back with a price range and we can help you. I can recommend the nice places around my office building (and I'm looking at the ocean as I type this), but they will cost you.

joan1 May 20th, 2005 10:35 AM

Thanks Guys!!! Decent meening safe clean, and in the range of $150 to $200 a night preferably near the beach as i am recovering from a broken ankle&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; thanks .

horizon May 20th, 2005 10:43 AM

the loews is nice - good location, good views, good prices. the pool is great at night and the gym is very good, if blasting too much a/c. not crazy about the piped in music in the lobby, but it becomes invisible after a while.

rjw_lgb_ca May 20th, 2005 10:52 AM

Hard price point near the ocean, but you MAY find a room at this property:

The Georgian, 1415 Ocean Ave. Still finishing up revonations at this classic Hollywood D&eacute;co mid-rise-- a colleague stayed there and said his room was a bit tired-- but you can't beat the location. Tripadvisor reviews are good, but they got two recent pans (however, one was a New Yorker whose review's tone suggest she wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than the Peninsula), so ask specifically for a renovated room.

There's a Holiday Inn a block from the Santa Monica Pier, but its immediate surroundings are less than stellar (across the street is a McDonald's frequented at all hours by harmless-but-less-than-clean homeless people), so....

A Best Western right on Ocean gets middling reviews, but it's a block from the Pier, so....

The Viceroy strives for Brit-Chic in the middle of mellow Santa Monica. It's a bit south of downtown SM, and it tries a bit too hard to be a Scene hotel (too West Hollywood for me, to be honest), but it can be a good deal, and it's nice.

The Cal-Mar Suites get high marks around this forum. It's maybe three blocks from Ocean Ave.-- as I recall, it's a converted Swingin' Singles apartment complex with a small pool. A quick walk (OK, limp) to everything in downtown SM.

If you want to go all-out, Casa del Mar is wonderful, but it's super-expensive. Shutters at the Beach is its sister property, and it's a little less swanky but very nice-- and pricey.

clarkgriswold May 20th, 2005 11:04 AM

Baysidehotel.com is a decent no frills (and no pool) choice. The reviews on tripadvisor tell the whole story.

sandypaws3 May 20th, 2005 11:24 AM

2 miles? Really? Guess we took a long walk, as we did walk some of the time. We rather enjoyed it, but we didn't have a broken ankle. I'm in my 50's, and it wasn't too far for me.

Sandy

socialworker May 20th, 2005 01:43 PM

To horizon--if you *ever* got Loew's Santa Monica in the $150-$200, range, please let me know when and how you did it!!! Thanks.

joan1 May 20th, 2005 03:00 PM

You guys are the BEST!!!!
rjwlgbca Thanks for all the INFO..... I was going to check into bayside!! my foot is getting better....