Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Monica, California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-monica-california-899464/)

Little_Miss_Flighty Jul 19th, 2011 03:18 PM

Santa Monica, California

After spending time in Beverley Hills we decided to head down to Santa Monica for 2 nights to relax as we hadnt stopped so far and were exhausted. We caught a taxi which costed us roughly $50 and there wasnt too much traffic luckily!

We ended up staying at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel which was located roughly 200m from the pier and main streets which was very convenient! We felt very safe and relaxed around this area which is always good! The hotel was clean and rooms were quite large but of course you have to pay the big bucks to get the rooms with the good views! The internet has a a beautiful pool with great views and pool staff are on hand to take food and drink orders or to grab you an umbrella for some shade! The hotel has free internet in the lobby or roughly $10 for 24 hours in your room.

We decided to do a Malibu Stars Homes tour which was fun. We booked that through one of the companies located along the pier. Hilarious guide and a good way to sit and relax for 2 hours and get some good views of the coast!

The best part of the trip was to hire a bike and ride along to Venice Beach and then back again down to Malibu. It was a beautiful sunny day when we went and it only took us a few hours. We stopped for lunch at a small little pub near the wharf at Venice Beach for lunch. You must try the Kosher Hotdog with Avacado. To die for!

This was a fantastic place to relax and enjoy some sunshine away from the big smoke yet still close enough to the city if needed!

boots08 Feb 26th, 2012 08:03 AM

Thanks for your trip report, Flighty. I might be going to SM soon and if so, would like to try that hotdog with the avocado :p.

cferrb Feb 26th, 2012 09:25 AM

I love Santa Monica, and I am lucky enough to work two blocks from the Venice Pier right now. What heaven! Bicycling along that stretch of beach is wonderful. So glad you had a great trip. Do you know where you got the Kosher Dog with Avocado?

Little_Miss_Flighty Mar 11th, 2012 12:10 AM

It was an amazing hot dog. I dont rememember the name of the place but when you cycle along towards the airport end away from Malibu then its an upstairs pub that has glass around it. Was fantastic! Sorry for the lack of information, I cant seem to remember the name!

kawh Mar 11th, 2012 12:33 AM

i used to live in santa monica-- does the beach bike path go all the way to malibu now-- or did you take the treacherous p.c.h.?? (did that once and never again!! )

Little_Miss_Flighty Mar 11th, 2012 12:42 AM

Its a beautiful part of the world. I just used Malibu as the place for my directions as I dont remember specific locations.

Tomsd Mar 11th, 2012 04:56 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice trip report. Unfortunately, many do not.

tracys2cents Mar 11th, 2012 08:52 AM

Patrick's Roadhouse might be the kosher hot dog place? Doesn't really have glass around it, but lots of windows upstairs.

PeaceOut Mar 11th, 2012 09:00 AM

I don't think you rode bikes from Santa Monica to Venice Beach to Malibu and back.

tracys2cents Mar 11th, 2012 09:04 AM

...and the internet probably didn't have a lovely pool.

Tomsd Mar 11th, 2012 11:23 AM

Geesh. Cut them a little slack.

Little_Miss_Flighty Mar 11th, 2012 04:07 PM

We didnt ride to Malibu but I dont exactly know the suburbs, we just rode to that end of the beach to whatever the end town is called. We were gone for a few hours and enjoyed it regardless! Yes, must be the road house as it did have lots of glass windows around it and you can sit upstairs and done. Was a great view!

cferrb Mar 11th, 2012 04:13 PM

Great way to spend a few hours. It's lovely here in LA right now, and I really ought to be out riding at the beach right now.

Tomsd Mar 11th, 2012 07:03 PM

Thanks again for providing a post trip report.