Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa Fe this weekend-questions about 10,000 waves , birthday cakes and Halloween.

Search

Santa Fe this weekend-questions about 10,000 waves , birthday cakes and Halloween.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions in our trip planning to Santa Fe! I've checked the weather and it looks great for the weekend and hiking. Just a few more questions? 10,000 waves spa.....should we do this and any recommendations on type of hot tubs people have liked and so forth?
Also, which restaurant or bakery would have a really yummy birthday cake....and one more, any special Halloween activities going on?
At this point, we are splitting our time between Inn of the Alameda and Inn of the Governors...any thoughts on that? Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM

<<At this point, we are splitting our time between Inn of the Alameda and Inn of the Governors...>>

Why? They're only a few blocks from eachother. Inn of the Governors' is a better location, but Inn on the Alameda gets the nod for most any other reason, IMO.

There's a French bakery & patisserie on the north-south running street with the statue of the donkey at one end, a couple blocks west of the Plaza. Not your typical birthday cake, but you might check there.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I think I will actually pick one or the other today....with one I could get a real fireplace and the other gas--but maybe it's not worth the move. I'll probably decide today.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Try Cloud Cliff Bakery or Chocolate Maven for the cake. I don't have streets for either off the top of my head, but you shouldn't have any problem locating them once there.

Have fun!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM

We went to Ten Thousand Waves for my birthday last year. I highly recommend it BUT, it may be too late to get a private bath. Call right away and see what's available. We were in "New Ofuro" and it was so wonderful. Romantic, tranquil and serene. I think all of the private baths are good though and at this late date, it might be a simple matter of what's available.

FYI -- some of the public baths are bathing suit optional[even the coed ones] so ask if that's an issue if you end up going that route.

http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/

And for what its worth, I would stay in one place, don't move to a second hotel just to be in a different one. Too much precious time wasted doing so...you could be out and about.

If you have time, go up to Museum Hill. There are a number of wonderful museums there, International Folk Art is my fav.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Meant to say this about bakery: I think beachbum is talking about Cafe Paris. We've eaten there many times for authentic french food. We've not bought anything from their bakery, except the desserts at dinner.

http://www.cafeparisnm.com/

I also like this one -- it is near the La Fonda Hotel--
French Pastry Shop
(505) 983-6697 100 E San Francisco St
Santa Fe, NM

Brunch in La Fonda is great too. Also, you have to check out the beautiful Ladies Room in the lobby of the La Fonda. The tile is amazing. {I know, it's a bit wierd, but I love to check lobby rest rooms...gives you glimpse into what the rooms are like}

Hope this helps...
Debi