Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Santa fe - pueblos - Do you have any favorites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:56 PM
sophie

Fodorites,
I was looking for personal experiences at the pueblos around Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos. Unique weaving, pottery, dwellings, or ceremonial dances. I'll be travelling around New Years.
Bandalier NP, Taos, Santa Clara are my current interest. Any additional recommendations. Pueblos not be missed.
Sophie

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:17 PM
sheila

Taos! Have fun!

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:18 PM
sheila

Pecos National Monument is also great!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 05:13 AM
cindy

I loved Taos Pueblo,but was very aware during my visit that there is still a native population living there. I'm not sure how they feel about their home being a tourist attraction; I know how I would feel about it, though! Everyone was pleasant and welcoming but (maybe it's just me) I felt like a trespasser. I want to emphasize that this was NOT because of any unpleasant attitude on the part of the residents. One must-see as far as I'm concerned is Acoma Pueblo, also called Sky City. It's stunningly beautiful. It's often closed (unfortunately without notice) for religious reasons, but if you can get there, you're in for a wonderful experience. It's only lived-in on a part-time basis and they don't let tourists in during those times. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 06:59 AM
J T Kirk

I don't mean to lecture and I apologize for it sounding as I am. And you may already know this, but when you're at the Pueblo:
1) always ask before you take someone's photo;
2) if they're having any type of celebration, such as a dance, when you're there, don't be loud and don't applaud;
3) if someone offers you some home cooking, take a little and move on. Don't hog the plate.
4) and, in general, be polite and low key.
Have fun. And once again, I don't mean to sound as though I'm some crusader.