Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What Are Some Scenic Drives in Texas and Arkansas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take some scenic drives while we are in Texas and Arkansas in early December? We fly into and out of Dallas. Any suggestions?

HTTY
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM

I live right on the Arkansas/Oklahoma state line and have for 45 years. So we visit Texas 5 or 6 times a year and hike in Arkansas probably about once a month.

December is somewhat an ugly time of year. Trees should be basically all gone.

I really like Big Bend, Guadalupe and Carlsbad Caverns(caverns are almost in Texas-right on NM border). There is not much between there though. These are all pretty far from Dallas though.

A drive to San Antonio might be nice. See Riverwalk and Alamo. Could stop in Austin. Could see Hill Country.

Arkansas is really scenic. Arkansas HWY 7 is probably the best area. My very favorites in Arkanas and in order of preference.

Upper portion of Buffalo National River-I can list several fairly easy hikes to really nice waterfalls(should be going decent by then, it's still dry right now though). This was the first designated National River, btw. If the water isn't to high it is a great kayak/canoe river.
Petit Jean State Park
Mount Nebo State Park
Mount Magazine
Talimena Drive (this is a couple hour drive that is best during fall colors)
I love national parks. Hot Springs is my absolute least favorite that I have ever visited.
Several nice lakes in Arkansas that are State Parks.

Sam Walton built a really nice Museum in Northwest Arkansas. Crystal Bridges is the name.

A lot of people enjoy Beavers Bend in Oklahoma(not to far from Dallas). It doesn't do much for me though. just ok.

Northpark Mall and Galleria Mall are both good shopping in Dallas.

A lot of restaurants are located in Addison right on Beltline.
Our favorites in Dallas are
Three Forks
Anything Pappas(this is a chain throughout texas)
Pappa Bros Steakhouse
Pappadeaux (cajun/fish)
Pappasito (mexican)
Twisted Root Burger(hole is the wall type joint)
Rise No. 1 (pretty much half the menu is souffles)
Kenny's Wood Fire Grill (possibly my favorite)
Fearings-upscale/fancy
French Room-Fancy-also like their afternoon tea service
Texas De Brazil (chain thoughout US)
Patrizzio's (italian)
Eatzi's (awesome deli/grocery store-original location is best
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM

www.buffaloriver.com is a good website for the Upper Buffalo River. Bill Clinton has stayed in the cabins there a time or two.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 09:20 AM

If you are headed east from Dallas, you could check out Jefferson, Texas and Caddo Lake which is the only natural lake in Texas. It is a pretty mysterious mossy lake and the movie Legend of Boggy Creek was filmed there.

The town of Marshall is nearby and is famous for its holiday display at the court house. Jefferson is a very old town and should be fun in December.

Going east will give you a totally different perspective than the areas you have visited in the west. Just get off the Interstate and take some backroads.

http://www.visitjeffersontexas.com
http://www.caddolake.org
http://www.visitmarshalltexas.org/
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Spirobulldog, the following jumped off the monitor at me because I was quite underwhelmed when I went out of my way to visit the place in 1984: "Hot Springs is my absolute least favorite [NP] that I have ever visited. "

HTTY
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You can dig for diamonds in Arkansas. North of Hope (Bill's hometown). http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark...ault.aspx#Mine
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM

I live in NE Texas and Spirobulldog has done a good job with info and ideas. East Texas is the most picturesque part of the state--rolling and wooded. Much different from west and central Texas.

Totally agree about Hot Springs.

NW Arkansas is the prettiest part of that state. Eureka Springs is a pretty and unique town that a lot of people enjoy visiting. Branson is just over the border in Missouri.

I hope you aren't flying in just to see this area. I live here but it isn't that special.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Hot Springs is slightly better now. You can actually experience one of the bath houses. That said, I still really don't see how on earth it is a national park(I find many of the State Parks in AR far superior). Do you know that it was actually the very first land set aside(before Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Sequoia). It was called something different than a National Park, I can't remember exactly what.

Crater of Diamonds is a cool thing to do.
I don't care for Eureka Springs much. Tons and Tons of people do though. I do like Branson. Branson is super touristy type of place. Somewhat like Gatlinburg(if you've been there). The shows are ten times better at Branson though.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM

http://www.nps.gov/applications/budg...ts/chronop.pdf..
a list of NPS establishments
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. They are a big help to us.

I hope you aren't flying in just to see this area. I live here but it isn't that special.

This trip is built of one we took in 2010 to GA, SC, FL Panhandle, New Orleans, MS, and TN.

We will fly into and out of Dallas, where we have family. Our routing is Arkansas, New Orleans, and as much of Texas as we can manage.

HTTY
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM

If you enjoy hiking Caddo Lake State Park has some nice opportunities, and you can stay in a cabin there if you get a reservation.