Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans- 1 1/2 days--Steamboat Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go to New Orleans at the end of October. Unfortunately I will only be there for 1&1/2 days. Can anyone suggest a tour which will give me an overview of all of the tourist attractions. It appears as if there are several different tours to choose from and I want to see it all. City tour, cemetery tour, swamp tour, plantation tour, Katrina tour, voodoo tour etc I will never be able to see all of it in 1 & 1/2 days.

Also I have always wanted to sail on the Mississippi River. Has anyone ever taken the Steamboat cruise and if so would you recommend it?

Thank you,
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM

I think you should definitely prioritize, because like you said, you wont be able to see it all. I'd focus on getting a good taste of New Orleans rather than an overview. Slightly different perspective, but IMO, makes for a more satisfying visit.

If you like walking tours, there are a few to choose from - we like Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co. You could take the French Quarter tour, for example, and in a couple hours get a lot of great information about that neighborhood and the history of the city. They also do a Garden District tour and a Cemetery/Voodoo tour.

With such a short trip, I wouldn't do a plantation or swamp tour. Each of those will take at least a half day, and while they are good to do, there is a lot in New Orleans itself to see and it would be a shame to shortchange the city itself.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM

I wouldn't do the boat: it doesn't get very good reviews.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 02:22 AM

THe steamboat cruise is well worth it on a sultry summer evening. The dinner cruise is alright, the food is just OK, nothing bad, just not exceptional.

Having said all that, with less than two days, your time would be better spent exploring and enjoying the French Quarter. Maybe a cemetery tour, probably St. Louis #1, the closest one to the French Quarter. But always take a guided tour, for safety reasons. See
http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/tours/index.htm

You will be surprised at how much you can see and do in a day and a half..
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM

Don't do the steamboat cruise, you'll be disappointed. The view is mostly of refineries and of the port along the river.

Stick to the French Quarter and Garden District.