Santa Fe - Bishop's Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Any opinions on this resort for an October stay? Are the view rooms worth the extra money? Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:25 AM

The Bishop's Lodge is in my top 3 places to stay in Santa Fe.

They have some nice grounds, and a fairly good restaurant. Horseback riding is avaliable. Rooms are nice, although some are dark.

The only downside (other than price) is that it's outside of town, and you'll need a car.
(Of course, to me, that's a plus. You're far removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:44 AM

We visited there before it changed ownership (maybe 5 yrs ago). It was the highlight of our trip and that says a lot. If you like history, read Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather beforehand. The real Archbishop lived on the property and his chuch is on site. Do not be discouraged by the distance unless you must run out to the plaza to see the jewelry etc on display every moment. Its about a 5 min drive--no kidding.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - We will have a car,so the distance shouldn't be a problem at all. I also do not mind being away from the hustle and bustle.

Any suggestions for activities/places not to miss w/school age children in Santa Fe? Thanks again.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM

We have stayed at Bishop's many times over the last 10 years. Great location. The riding trails offer beautiful views of the area. Rooms vary - some have been updated, some are new and then there are those that need some attention. I'm not sure what price you were quoted but we get our rooms off of the internet hotel companies - Get a better rate than calling direct (at least in our experience). We think its worth the price because we enjoy the riding, patio (great patio with large kiva fireplace) and if we didn't eat too many green chilies we'll hit a few tennis balls! They do charge a $9/day per person resort fee which is ridiculous but many are doing this now.
The resort has changed quite a bit since it changed hands. For us,they seem to cater more to the corporate retreats than for individual travelers. I will say that when we wrote a letter to the company complaining they were very interested & wanted us to come back.

Have a good trip,
Sheila