Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Fe and Taos in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-fe-and-taos-in-november-1473414/)

Aboehmer Sep 15th, 2017 03:33 AM

Santa Fe and Taos in November

We are looking to visit Santa Fe and Taos region in early November but I am worried about the weather. I've only been in New Mexico and Colorado area during the summer. Is there a high possibility of snow? We are not looking to ski but just visit the towns and see the historic and cultural aspect. But we do not want the problems of snow in the mountains if it normal for this time of year.

If anyone has experience with the weather at that time of year I'd appreciate your input.

BigRuss Sep 15th, 2017 06:34 AM

<<Is there a high possibility of snow>>

Only if "high" means "any."

There is a possibility of snow. That possibility is not high, especially not in early November.

If "problems of snow in the mountains" means impassable roads and snow-covered streets, don't count on that either - November is early for a deluge and that area of NM gets 300+ sunny days per year, which means the snow will melt unless it is unseasonably cold.

sf7307 Sep 15th, 2017 06:54 AM

Well, in the two cities themselves, intellicast "historical averages" says the high temperatures will be in the high 50s and precipitation less than .03" per day. So it's not rainy season and it's not that cold.

Bedar Sep 15th, 2017 07:19 AM

We were there over a Veterans Day long weekend one year. It was bright and sunny and VERY crowded.

DebitNM Sep 15th, 2017 07:51 AM

A nice time to visit here. Typically not crowded, moderate day time temps that feel warmer due to abundant sunshine. Evenings will be crisp and cool to cold but a room with a fireplace burning pinon wood is like nothing else!

We are finally drought free here. Lots of rain this monsoon season. That may mean a wetter than average winter, but still, snow that will shut things down is not likely.

If I can help with hotels or restaurants or things to see/do, ask away.

socaltraveler Sep 15th, 2017 02:33 PM

So this is a bit of a highjack, but what do NM natives think about a trip in March? We have been looking at a Road Scholar itinerary that is very interesting, but think the weather might be more of hindrance than we would like. I guess we will just have to decide about taking the chance.

DebitNM Sep 15th, 2017 04:13 PM

What part of the state? March weather varies a good deal from south to north.

Not the worst month, April gets the nod for that honor.

socaltraveler Sep 15th, 2017 06:33 PM

Santa Fe and Taos. April is worse than March?

DebitNM Sep 16th, 2017 07:00 AM

April can be very windy with lots of sand blowing.
Taos may get snow, Santa Fe is possible too but a bit less likely. We did have a big snow late April this year, and it was gone in 24 hours.

socaltraveler Sep 16th, 2017 10:25 AM

Thanks for the input.

Aboehmer Sep 18th, 2017 10:59 AM

Yes. Thanks for the responses.

ElendilPickle Sep 18th, 2017 12:38 PM

I wouldn't have a problem visiting here in March; there still may be a little snow, but nothing too bad.

Lee Ann