Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Barbara Hotels - Help Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-barbara-hotels-help-please-523152/)

txtree Apr 21st, 2005 02:49 PM

Santa Barbara Hotels - Help Please

We are attending a wedding there and are priced out of the Four Seasons (rooms quoted at $630 a night!). Any thoughts on the second nicest hotel in Santa Barbara? Someone suggested the Montecito Inn, but I read mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. We want a peaceful and luxurious place. Thanks very much.

moneygirl Apr 21st, 2005 06:15 PM

Try the Simpson House Inn...I think their rates start at $275 also El Encanto... but their rates are at least $500. Usually most places have a two night minimun on the weekends and everything books fast. The Montecito Inn is on a street with shopping and restaurants but it is NOT Santa Barbara and if you want to stay in town, I would want to be in SB...more to see, more to do. Where is the wedding? When are you coming?

txtree Apr 22nd, 2005 11:44 AM

The wedding is at the bride's family home in July. We will be there Friday to Sunday. I'm not exactly sure where the family house is, but they are suggesting the Four Seasons and Montecito Inn to guests. I will look into the Simpson House and El Encanto. Thanks.

clarkgriswold Apr 22nd, 2005 03:05 PM

The Montecito Inn is very nice, but the rooms are smallish, it is an older hotel. If they are suggesting it, they may be south of Santa Barbara in Montecito where those two hotels are. Will you have a car?

I like the Harbor View Inn but it is up in Santa Barbara, not Montecito.

kimamom Apr 22nd, 2005 04:49 PM

The Harbor View Inn is very nice. I have also heard great things about Inn of the Spanish Garden, located in downtown SB. ***kim*** ((#))

MBnancy Apr 22nd, 2005 11:41 PM

We put on a wedding a couple years ago in SoCal, and suggested two hotels for the guests to stay in with different price ranges. Checked out many places and rooms before decision. We arranged for a "package" price for the guests staying at either hotel 6 months before with the Save the Date invitation. Did you mention the Bride/Groom name when requesting a rate for your stay at each hotel? They usually give a pretty good one.

The Four Season's Hotel is just fantastic, if you are looking for a peaceful and luxurious hotel. I'll bet that $630 is the reg. rate. Also, the wedding hosts usually invite out of town guests to breakfast or luncheons connected with the wedding, (you get those invites later) so it is convenient to be near the family home for these activities. Staying in Santa Barbara might be too far. We made 30+ "Goodie Bags" for our guests, to be presented upon check in. They all choose the ocean front hotel, and the hotel gave us the names of those who registered, so delivery was easy.

As for the Montecito Inn, it really would be nice for a Wedding weekend. Usually you can't check in until 4 PM on Friday, Saturday, the wedding takes up half the day, and Sunday you check out by noon, perhaps invited to a post wedding brunch.
8-)

txtree Apr 24th, 2005 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the information. Turns out the wedding is in Montecito. Our hosts couldn't arrange group rates at any of the hotels because the wedding itself is not at a hotel and it is high season in the area. I think we'll stick with the Montecito Inn since it will be convenient to the wedding itself and all the wedding-related activities. And maybe I'll just pop down to the four seasons for a massage on Saturday morning!!

moneygirl Apr 24th, 2005 01:47 PM

If you can sneak down the street to Palazzio's, their warm garlic yeast rolls are yummy. Their portions are huge...you can order a half, (or share!)and it's a fun place to eat.

You will have a wonderful time, Montecito is beautiful. The Catholic, Prebyterian and Episcopal chuches there are beautiful. Enjoy your weekend.

kimamom Apr 25th, 2005 02:10 PM

We had lunch at The Patio at the Four Seasons and I had a tour of their spa for future visits. Very nice! Enjoy! ***kim*** ((f))