Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Santa Barbara and....??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/santa-barbara-and-687304/)

glsebs Mar 12th, 2007 04:36 PM

Santa Barbara and....???

We are traveling from our home in Miami to a wedding in Santa Barbara at the end of June. We were in Santa Barbara after a conference in LA a couple of years ago, stayed at the Simpson House, and really enjoyed our 3 day stay. Since we were recently in Santa Barbara, is there anywhere else we can go for 3-4 days after the wedding. We plan to fly into LA and rent a car and drive to Santa Barbara. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

joesorce Mar 12th, 2007 05:18 PM

San Simeon, Morro Bay, Paso Robles....or take a longer drive (well worth it) up to Carmel/Monterey. If you haven't bought your air tickets yet, consider flying home from San Jose...not a bad drive from the Monterey area & is considered still a "round trip".

seetheglobey Mar 12th, 2007 05:37 PM

Ojai area is nice and not far from Santa Barbara at all. It is a relaxing destination.

Also try the Santa Ynez wine region, Solvang, Los Olivos etc. if you are into wine.

trippinkpj Mar 12th, 2007 06:09 PM

With 3 - 4 extra days, I'd head up to San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and/or Pismo Beach. Then on your way back down south, plan a stop (maybe an overnight) in Solvang or Los Olivos. That is if you are alread locked into a roundtrip into and out of LA. The fly into LA and out of San Jose suggestion by joesorce is a good one

TahitiTams Mar 12th, 2007 06:32 PM

You can head down to San Diego and stay in La Jolla/Del Mar or Coronado..
North from SB is wonderful and gorgeous too.

motherben Mar 31st, 2007 01:29 PM

Hi, If you haven't been there you must go to Ojai" just 40 min from SB.". It is a very quaint town with great resturants and two golf courses, if you play. Ojai Valley Inn and Su Nido Inn are my choices for lodging with Laverder Inn as the best B&B.

Kristi Mar 31st, 2007 02:32 PM

Last year we stopped in Santa Barbara on our way back from Cambria and the Hearst Castle in San Simeon. We stayed at the FogCatcher in Cambria right on the beach and then headed to Hearst Castle the next day.

Mademoiselle Apr 1st, 2007 12:02 AM

Hello,
I agree with the San Luis Obispo County posts, I am biased as I went to school there. Between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, are Santa Ynez and San Luis Obipso Missions, in Paso Robles wonderful wine country, Solvang is a nice touristy spot, and Cambria is one of my favorite places. I love afternoon tea at the Tea Cozy, quite tasty indeed.

Hearst Castle has been mentioned here a few times, and I suggest it as well, another favorite if you do head up north are the Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila Beach, your own private hot tub in the woods =-)

Kristi Apr 1st, 2007 06:56 AM

I forgot about Solvang, we stopped there too and had the most delicious pastries. It's a nice place to stop for a couple of hours and get a bite to eat if nothing else.