Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sanibel or Captiva Island hotel question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sanibel-or-captiva-island-hotel-question-421841/)

cheryldina Apr 13th, 2004 08:47 AM

Sanibel or Captiva Island hotel question

We are going to either Sanibel or Captiva on 4/27-4/30. I've read some reviews on here, but am still torn. I think I've narrowed it to either Song of the Sea on Sanibel or South Seas Resort on Captiva. I know they are completely different - one's small and the other's huge....but different things draw me to both.

Have heard Song of the Sea is quiet, romantic and quaint and that Sanibel is best for bicycling. But I also like the fact that South Seas Resort has a gym and golf course. Which place would be best for kayaking?

Thx for your thoughts.
Cheryl

thx.
Cheryl

linman Apr 13th, 2004 09:54 AM

Hi Cheryldina, We stayed at Song of the Sea last April and I was a little disappointed. It looked a lot better on the website, in particular the room. The property itself was nice, as was the beach. I did not go to the South Seas, but Captiva was lovely. My favorite beach by far was Bowman's on Sanibel.I think Sanibel had lots more to offer than Captiva though, unless you will be staying at the resort for the most part.

benj Apr 13th, 2004 01:55 PM

I vote for Song of the Sea. It is quiet & a great view on the beach. Sanibel is a bit livelier than Captiva. It's up to you what's most important.

Kay2 Apr 25th, 2004 03:59 PM

Just returned from South Seas. Lovely location but poor resort.

Many units haven't been renovated and have worn carpet and furniture.

Housekeeping was poor-leaving dead bugs in middle of bathroom floor.

Food prices were similar to restaurants off property, but food just OK and automatic 18% gratuity included.

No walking trail or sidewalks--you must drive, ride trolley, or walk on the side of the road from the end with the golf course to the end with the fitness center (I was told it was a basic exercise room, but didn't see it).

Resort beach chairs and towels only in designated area, so crowded together. Pools were uncrowded.

I didn't play golf, so can't comment on that.

cheryldina May 3rd, 2004 07:41 PM

Hi, just got back and wanted to post my thoughts. Agree with the comment on Song of the Sea. It is quaint, but the rooms are a bit dated. Not bad, but expected a bit nicer. I was very drawn to Captiva, very lush and tropical, but not sure I would stay at South Seas...definitely looks like it could vary by location of room. My thoughts if I go back again is to try the Inn at Tween Waters. Looked cute and across from a great beach.

All in all still had a great time!

thanks everybody.

Cher May 4th, 2004 05:01 AM

We just returned from South Seas Resort on Captiva and had a nice time there. I know that other reviews have been negative, but I have to say that we had a really nice stay and would definitely return. We were in a newly renovated one bedroom beach villa unit which was very nice. I really liked both Sanibel and Captiva and you can't go wrong on either. I think that Captiva is a bit more lush and tropical feeling than Sanibel. There also seemed to be lots more shells on the Captiva beaches than Sanibel, perhaps because these beaches faces west instead of south ... great sunsets though! We really enjoyed our stay there and would most definitely return.

We looked at Song of the Sea and it seemed cute, but definitely a very different atmosphere from South Seas (which I would prefer over Song of the Seas). If staying on Sanibel, I think we would stay at Casa Ybel which looked very nice.