Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sanibel Island lodging- 2 nights in Nov- great view and comfy bed? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sanibel-island-lodging-2-nights-in-nov-great-view-and-comfy-bed-931311/)

CRnewbies Apr 13th, 2012 10:59 AM

Sanibel Island lodging- 2 nights in Nov- great view and comfy bed?

My partner and I are excitedly planning our Nov trip to FL. We are looking to stay 2 nights on Sanibel island. We are looking for a clean, and comfy place to "come home" to after exploring D. Darling and enjoying the beach. We don't need luxorious or fancy...just nice. We would love the place to have a great view. We don't need to be close to anything- (except the beach ....we don't need nightlife we would like to grab a drink sometime but nothing too exciting :-). Is the Gulf water better on one end of the island? is there a better side for sunsets? Being from DC, we are used to the lovely brown color of the churning atlantic :-)

thanks so much for any and all ideas.

jubilada Apr 13th, 2012 11:17 AM

No ideas for places to stay but do include a sunset boat ride or kayak ride at Ding Darling. You see many many species of birds coming into nest for the night, gorgeous!

CRnewbies Apr 13th, 2012 01:48 PM

thanks for the tip!

suewoo Apr 13th, 2012 03:35 PM

I'll be watching this, since I have wanted to go there forever. My nephew is getting married on the Gulf side, so I finally have an excuse to go.

CRnewbies Apr 13th, 2012 04:37 PM

LUCKy, suewoo! let me know if you find any good leads -

suewoo Apr 13th, 2012 05:56 PM

I know! We're so happy he lived through two tours in Iraq! When he had to shoot all day every day. For MONTHS.
I'll be following your post.

Semper Fi.

330east Apr 13th, 2012 06:06 PM

Casa Ybel I guess is fancy but who knows you might like it.

FloridasIslandCoast Aug 13th, 2012 11:03 AM

This is a group website that includes most of Sanibel's accommodations. I hope this helps! http://www.floridasislandcoast.com/

MollyinFL Aug 14th, 2012 03:43 PM

The Sanibel Island Holiday Inn has gotten some good reviews, condos don't usually rent for 2 nights. Look them up online, they also have a webcam pointed at the beach (realtime), was just there in Sanibel a week ago.

mabella101 Aug 14th, 2012 04:39 PM

We've visited 3 years in a row and have stayed at the Sanibel inn. It is very comfortable for us. Has an on site restaurant, a small tiki bar facing the beach. They recently initiated a small resort fee that includes use of bicycles & I believe kayaks. We actually prefer to stay on the second floor of the bldg closest to to office as it gives you a view of both the ocean & the pool area. We've checked out their sister property also, the Song of the sea and that seems nice as well, albeit more quite as they do not allow kids. Hope this helps. Good thing you are not looking for nightlife, you won't find much on Sanibel. We love it there. Hope this helps

LindainOhio Aug 15th, 2012 01:09 PM

The Holiday Inn is nice. I think Casa Ybel rents weekly. Maybe in Nov. you could do a daily rental there. Sanibel Inn is one of the www.innsofsanibel.com . They all seem very nice. They are older properties that have been well kept--there is a lot of variety in the rooms so you will read a lot of different room reviews. I have not stayed in any of them but have ridden my bike through the grounds.

After spending a week in a condo, we spent 3 nights at Tween Waters Inn. It is a historic property right in between Sanibel and Captiva. They should be running specials in Nov. We had one of their Bayside rooms and it was fabulous, with a screened in room right on the bay. Tween waters is across the street from the Gulf. There are very good photos of the rooms on their website. They also have cottages.

They have a very nice restaurant onsite and offered a complimentary breakfast when we visited.