Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   sanibel help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sanibel-help-235481/)

linda Jun 29th, 2002 02:06 PM

sanibel help

Does anyone know which, if any, location on gulf drive is the best in terms of beach and proximity to restaurants? I see listings of middle, east and west gulf drive and I am a bit confused thanks

Eva Jun 29th, 2002 06:20 PM

we have been to sanibel many years and prefer the West Gulf Drive. At the west end the condo bldgs.give way to private homes and the beach is almost empty the further one walks. just lots of birds. We like that. the East (lighthouse) end is more congested. If you're anywhere at Middle or West Gulf Dr. it won't be far to shopping and restaurants. It's a small island and not far fr. anything.some day take a drive to Captiva also, it's an "extension" of sanibel. Stop at Chamber of Commerce office nr. Causeway, they have lots of info and maps.Also here's the website for Ch. of Comm.: www.sanibel-captiva.org<BR>Have a wonderful time !

linda Jun 29th, 2002 06:57 PM

Thanks Eva, I will check that website because we do plan on visiting Captiva too. Do you know anything about Song of the Sea? I believe it is on east side.Would beaches be very crowded here during summer monthes?

Duane Jun 29th, 2002 07:01 PM

Linda,<BR>The beaches on Sanibel are never really crowded compared to a lot of other places. Never heard of the Song of the Sea, but there are so many places on Sanibel that it doesn't surprise me. <BR><BR>Eva is right, the Middle and West Gulf Dr. are probably the best locations although you aren't far from anything no matter where you are at on the island. <BR><BR>You must eat at the Bubble Room on Captiva when you are here. Just a fun place with great food. Of course there are 100 other great places to eat.<BR>Enjoy,<BR>Duane in Ft Myers

Lori Jun 30th, 2002 06:36 AM

On Captiva there is a nice place to eat called Mucky Duck, I thought it had great food. Right on the ocean, and a great place for catching the beautiful sunsets. They also have an outdoor patio with entertainment. Have fun!

Eva Jun 30th, 2002 10:21 AM

Linda , I know the location of Song of the Sea and have read many complimentary reports here at Fodor's, but we never stayed there.I think they are under same ownership/mgmt. as South Seas on Captiva, Sundial etc.We also never went during summer, but it seems what I've heard from others, the only time traffic and beach gets congested is during the high season.We always went in Nov.except once (June).The first time stayed at West Wind Inn(great location- it used to be the "last" motel/inn before private homes), but for about the same money we could rent a 2-BR spacious condo unit. Anyway, here are couple websites where listings are by owners: www.vrbo.com and www.gulfcoastrentals.com<BR>Chamber of Comm. also has a listing of restaurants and their menus.<BR>I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay !<BR>

karen Jul 1st, 2002 12:05 PM

We always seem to stay on West Gulf Drive as well. I'm not sure why except to say these are the condos we are attracted to. Sanibel is not all that large that any location that appeals to you would not be far from the many restaurants on the island.

anita Jul 1st, 2002 04:32 PM

We stayed at the Song of the Sea in July quite a few years ago & really enjoyed it. We had a ground floor room with a screened in porch on the beach. It was relaxing & not as "sterile" as more of the hotels are. I would think unless it changed drastically you would have no problems.