Reload this Page >

Sanibel Harbor Inn & Spa - Good Choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 03:17 AM
sandy

We have reservations at this hotel for 8 days in December, with our two kids, 12 & 15. Never been to Sanibel. Is this as good a choice as I've been told? Want a relaxing but interesting change from Miami-Ft.Lauderdale scene.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 04:20 AM
CMcDaniel

Sandy...we've never stayed there so can't comment on the resort per se, but hope you realize that it's not on Sanibel itself--it's on the mainland at the base of the causeway leading over to the island. This means that it isn't on the Gulf, but on San Carlos Bay. For our family anyway, that would be a serious drawback.

Otherwise, it's supposedly quite a nice hotel, formerly a Sonesta, which is a chain known for developing outstanding properties, always a cut above the norm.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 04:10 PM
sharon

You know the term "incurable defect" as it pertains to residential real estate. Well, in the hotel world, The Sanibel Harbor and Spa has an incurable defect: it's not on Sanibel but only looks out on it. That aside, it is a pretty hotel and it houses a pretty good restaurant and great tennis courts and a very nice spa. It is home to lots of meetings, etc. It has been operated by many hotel chains over the years, sort of a revolving door. I never really hear any horror stories about the hotel and it does a huge wedding business for the unsuspecting. (The morning after: let's go to the beach honey, oops, there is no beach)

The hotels on Sanibel are small in aspect and not luxurious like the Sanibel Harbor hotel with a few exceptions like some of the condos on Captiva. Sanibel is a beachy, very casual place, it is not Naples.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Dane

I have been to Sanibel many times and love it.It is nothing like the Miami area. Sanibel is quaint and understated.I agree with previous messages about Sanibel Harbor. It isn't on Sanibel Island and it isn' really on the beach. There are only a few resorts on the island. Most people rent condos.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 09:17 PM
topper

to the top