Reload this Page >

Sanibel FL- Song of the sea - Nearby amenities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Sarah

Hello - Next month we will be staying at the Song of the sea on Sanibel island (Thanks to the recomendations of fellow fodorites)

Since this is our first time visiting Sanibel we would like to know are there any bars, cafes, restaurants, Shops within walking distance of The Song of the sea?
(We will have our car with us but it is nice to be able to explore on foot as well)

If anyone could give us an idea of the amenities around the Song of the sea we would appreciate their help.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:29 AM
RB

We enjoyed using the property's complimentary bikes to get around on Sanibel. Many of the restaurants are located on the "main drag"- think it's Periwinkle Way- and we rode the bikes to many of them. You could walk from Song of the Sea to some of them, may be more of a stroll than you'd care to do. Once you check in, drive down the road and spot a few places and judge whether you'd care to drive. The Chamber of Commerce lists restaurants on its site,
http://www.sanibel-captiva.org. Most of the places we ate were very casual places, nothing fancy. Do plan to drive over to Captiva and see sunset at the Mucky Duck. Another idea: you can arrange for a sunset boat trip (a shuttle van will pick you up from Song of the Sea and take you to the boat) - it's a nice way to end your stay. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Sarah

RB
Thanks for the reply - The tip about being able to ride the bikes to nearby restaurants is a good one.

The boat trip sound great - If you went which company did you use? as we have been considering a trip but don't know which one to choose.

Any specific must see's, Must do or reccommeded restaurants (Apart from the Mucky duck where we plan to watch the sun set - Can't wait!?

Thanks again

Sarah

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM
RB

Glad to help; we loved our Sanibel stay at Song of the Sea. Can't remember the name of the boat operator- it was arranged through the desk at Song of the Sea. (They have information on local services in the lobby when you check in.) Definitely visit the shell museum on Sanibel, and also the Ding Darling Wildlife Reserve. Be sure to carry binoculars or a long lens camera so you can see the wildlife up close and wear bug spray! Several folks will recommend the Bubble Room on Captiva for dining- while I enjoyed the eclectic decor (old children's games, nostalgia pieces), the food was not as fascinating, and the desserts were gargantuan. This establishment is very popular for family dining, so if you're looking for an intimate dinner for two, it will be hard to achieve it in this atmosphere. All of the other restaurants we visited were nothing out of the ordinary- just good, basic seafood. Our mode of operation was to soak up a lot of the island's atmosphere by bike, then chill in the outdoor hot tub with a beverage. Very, very relaxing and good for what ailed. Have a great trip!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Stephanie

Sarah, there is a beach bar and an Italian restaurant next door at the Sanibel Inn. The beach bar food was decent, and we didn't eat at the Italian place so can't comment.

Good advice about The Bubble Room. It's a bit tacky, and the wait is long, and the food is alright, not spectacular.

We ate a good dinner at the Green Flash, and an excellent meal at McT's Shrimp house on Periwinkle Way. I would highly recommend McT's -at least from our experience 2 yrs. ago.

You are allowed to use the facilities at The Sanibel Inn and any of the other South Seas properties on Sanibel/Captiva.

The Mucky Duck at sunset is a great recommendation, and there's live music outside after the sun goes down.

There's a shop down the road from the Mucky Duck called the Confused Chameleon that I thought was really cute.

Have a great time!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Lynn

Not to be negative, but for the sake of balance, I have to post a dissenting view about the Mucky Duck. We were on Sanibel in April. We didn't stay at Song of the Sea but rented a condo at another facility. We really enjoyed our stay and hated to leave; it's a beautiful place!

We tried the Mucky Duck based on all of the positive input about it on this site. Granted, we had lunch there rather than dinner, but I have to tell you, to save my life I cannot understand all of the fuss about that place. It was OK but nothing particularly impressive. I have to think that the sunset is its best feature, because the food was nothing to write home about and frankly the service wasn't very good.

I'm not saying we were sitting there in a state of misery the whole time; but I just don't "get" all of the positive buzz that place gets--if someone here can explain it to me, I'd really appreciate it! Next time we'll use the recommendation of a friend and visit the Green Flash instead.

Just my two cents' worth--have a great trip no matter where you decide to eat!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Stephanie

For the sake of thoroughness, I should have clarified that I didn't think Mucky Duck's food was all that great either. We didn't eat or drink there the night we watched a sunset from the beach there. We did eat there a few days later for lunch, and it was nothing to write home about, and frankly I think it's best feature is it's location - the reason I recommended it - and at sunset, not for lunch.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:09 PM
Jerry

Sanibel Island is very laid back & restaurants in general serve lunch to have something to do or its in the lease. Most do not wake up until the evening hours. This year has been slow everywhere but generally, if you have to wait for a table, there is a reason for it. McTs, Bubble Room, Mucky Duck etc. are top notch restaurants with prices to match. $5 app. $20 entre, $5 desert but the charm, menu & excitement come out at nite. There are also not any new restaurant buildings on the islands, several owned by the same people. I have lived in Ft. Myers over 30 years & I still go out to eat on Sanibel for special evenings. As far as walking, unless you are Forest Gump, take the car, it is a long island. Come and enjoy!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
linda

Sarah, We just got back from Fla. last night ,stayed at Song of the Sea 4 of the nights. The Italian restaurant next door at Sanibel Inn is called Portofinos and it is within walking distance but otherwise you really need a car or bike for shops or other eating establishments. It will be extremely hot, so depending on time of day you will really need car to explore. At night the island is pitch black around Song of the Sea, bikes would be out. We really enjoyed the Lazy Flamingo for a casual restaurant. There is one in Sanibel and a small (hole in the wall) one on the Sanibel/Captiva line. Both of my meals,tuna and grouper,were fantastic. Husband had scallops and blackened shrimp, also great.Be at beach very early if you need umbrella. There are only 6 and they are gone a little after 8 a.m.! People get up leave their towels and go back to rooms till mid morning. This was infuriating to many. Luckily I love early morns on beach so it was not a problem. Many unhappy patrons though. I will answer any questions you have .

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:28 PM
AmyJ

The Lighthouse for breakfast is a must... I hope it is still there it has been a few years since I was in Sanibel! I agree with a trip to the Bubble Room tacky but, worth the trip

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:22 AM
sarah

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Linda - Thanks for the insider info (I can be sure to bag an umbrella if I need one thanks to you! - I understand that we can use the facilities (For free)at the Sanibel Inn next door - What facilities are there/any worth using?
Also what type of room did you stay in? We have booked a poolview room - any info would be great.
Also we will be there mid week (end aug) is it noticable quieter mid week (As I realize that August is somewhat off season)
Sarah

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM
linda

Sarah, I did not use Sanibel Inn amenities at all.We were there Tuesday through Friday, July 16-20, and stayed in a poolview room in the building behind the reception and breakfast area. All of the rooms are named after foreign cities and areas, I was in Lausanne.The pool and hot tub were never crowded,despite full occupancy.I never knew were everyone was!A few families were there, but mostly couples.Every room has a little screened porch, we used ours in the evening. The pool was open late but there was never more than 1 couple using it at a time. Breakfast was from 8 to 10 a.m. and consisted of many cereals,Yoplait yogurts,fresh fruits,small pastries, Danish,bagels, toast,mini muffins,and various breads and English muffins.The coffee was delicious! Also fresh squeezed juices. Another tip-- if you have any big coffee drinkers like my husband- bring your own portable mug or tall cup with cover. All the restaurant provides are glass mugs or you can ask for small styrofoam cups. We liked to bring our coffee to beach and it wasn't handy.Also, if you like morning paper these are in lobby early by 730 but also go fast- USA today Wall Street Journal and local paper. I would get up get my papers get my umbrella and be all set for day. We found a great, the best beach, was Bowmans beach. It is on the road to Captiva. It has plenty of cheap parking. The sunsets at night are gorgeous here do not miss seeing one. If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer. Oh, we were fortunate enough to see not just dolphins in the mornings, but were actually in the water when a group of 7 manatees, started playing around us. I actually got to touch one, they are quite sociable. They were in about 3 feet of water. One gentleman who is a frequent guest of the island said that this was the first time in 12 summers that he saw the manatees on this side of the water vs. the bay.I felt blessed.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:02 AM
sarah

Linda

Thank you for your informative reply (I can't wait to get there now you make it sound so great)

I too would love to see some dolphins any tips on the best place to spot them would be good - We are considering taking a boat trip (To see the dolphins) any suggestions would be great.

Also your tips for the best spot to catch the sunset would be appreciated.

Take care

Sarah

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Melissa

Hi Sarah-
RE: The Dolphins

I was swimming at Bowmans Beach with my husband, and a dolphin was flipping about 10 feet away from us. One of our best vacation moments ever, and could certainly be one of yours, as there are many dolphins cruising around Sanibel's shores.
I also had seen dolphins when I went to the Ten Thousand Islands in the Evergaldes. Took a boat tour around the area, and dolphins followed the boat for most of the ride, and the operator says they do this almost every day.

Enjoy your trip. Sanibel is so great!
Melissa

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:20 PM
linda

Hi Sarah, I am glad I can help you. We saw the sunset from 2 spots, Bowman's beach,and another beach further down the road just before Captiva island. This second site was a little before tween waters inn. You really can not miss it on the way down, many gather here every night to watch the sunset and collect shells. Bring your camera the skies are amazing. As far as the dolphins, we saw them about 8 or 830 A.M. just down the beach to the right of Song of the Sea. We would walk the beach mornings and saw them right off shore . I did not take any boat excursions so I can't help you there.You will also see and hear so many different birds, and most of the wading birds are not afraid of humans. You cannot imagine how warm the ocean will be. We found that the water was incredibly smooth, still, and almost hot. It really is nice though, and the beach is not as shell-y as some postings had me believe. There is plenty of white sand.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Sarah

Thanks all
The replies have been really useful (I have printed out this thread for reference)

Sarah

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Kim

Definately go to the Riviera. The have the best food and these wonderful marquiritas. Traders was fun and has a cool shop that sells market-type goods (pottery, woven rugs, baskets). The Lighthouse for breakfast is said to be the best breakfast on the island (in the world?) but we found the wait long, the service awful and the food cold. The Thistle Room was nice also and the Key Lime Grill in Captiva (there is a Traders there as well but didnt go) that is alot of fun. Very eclectic.