Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sanibel FL Experts: Your views on the following acommodations......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:54 AM
sue

Sanibel Island Florida acommodations:
Your views on any/all of the following please:

Buttonwood Cottages
Seahorse Cottages
Tarpon Tale Inn
Tween Waters Inn
West Wind Inn

I am particularly interested in their suitability for Hubby & I (Early 30s no kids)

Thanks

Sue

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
wiz

we have been to sanibel many times. Im not real familiar with the places you mention--I think buttonwood and seahore are not directly on the beach. A friend stayed at west wind last year (no kids) and really liked it. Said she'd go back. We stay at sandalfoot. It's a small complex right on the water. Very clean units.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:47 PM
jo

Tween Waters is on Captiva across from the beach. lovely pool with a bar, can rent cottages or motel rooms

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Aquila

My husband and I stayed at the West Wind Inn last May on our first trip to Sanibel. The hotel is right on the beach. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The rooms are nice but not ultra fancy. It's got a pool and a bar. There's a restaurant on the premises but we never ate there. Usually we drove to a restaurant or fixed snacks in the kitchenette that came with the unit.

We plan to stay there for our next trip to Sanibel.

Hope this helps!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
eva

Years ago we used to stay at West Wind Inn, and it is a nice place. Efficiencies or bedrooms. We did find that for the same money we could rent a condo unit on the beach that was much more spacious.You may want to look into that option.Also go to www.sanibel-captiva.org (Ch.of Comm).Many rental agencies who handle condo rentals etc.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Lori

Sue, how long will you be staying? Renting a condo for a week can be really cost effective and there's more privacy.

We stayed a week at Blind Pass Condos and enjoyed the pool, tennis courts, barbeque grills, sauna, beach (one of the most remote stretches), and pool. In addition, we could sleep in and eat b'fast in our jammies. We got to dine out every evening, though. We often had enough leftovers that we could cover lunch the next day.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
sue

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for the feedback - Much appreciated.

We had considered the condo option but since we plan on staying at sanibel for 4-5 days not a full week we thought this might be a problem.

Any other acommodation suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sue

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Greg

Check out South Seas Plantation. Huge resort with hotel rooms and condos to rent.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sue

Thanks for all the replies.

The comments on the west wind have given us food for thought. However on looking at the brochures I have at home we are leaning towards Tween Waters so any info/personal experience on that would be fantastic.

Sue

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:42 PM
meg

Stayed at the 'Tween Waters last summer with my two teenage sons. In my opinion, the motel room we stayed in was "low average". I felt it was way overpriced and I remember thinking that the facilities looked a whole lot better in the brochure. It is an older (a bit "dreary") property and the beach is located across a two-lane highway, as I recall. The cottages seemed to have a bit more charm than the motel rooms. We spent one morning paddling a rented canoe to a small nearby island/wildlife preserve and found that very pleasant(canoes and maps available from the Inn). We also really liked the meals we had at the on-site restaurant.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Rosemary

Have you considered Song of the Sea? We stayed there at Christmas and loved it. Quite small, really attractive rooms, beach just across a few dunes, nice pool, free bicycles, great breakfasts. Their website is www.songofthesea.com

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:36 PM
paul

Sue - When are you going? We have reservations at Buttonwood in mid-may and I can give you a report when we return. We have never been to Sanibel.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:21 PM
l

My close friend stays at Song of the SEa every summer.She likes South SEas Plantation but find Song of the Sea more relaxing. She enjoys the pool, beach and reading. I've seen photos and it's very nice and tranquil. I can't stay more than an hour in Sanibel because it's too low keyed for me but if you are looking for quiet, slow placed, collecting shells, etc...this is the place.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Sue

Thanks for all your info.

I will look further into The song of the sea

Paul: We plan to travel in late august or sept - So a report on the Buttonwood cottages would be great.

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Duncan

Hi Sue
Have you thought about a private home on Sanibel-if so please contact me for details
An Englishman in the USA