Sanibel and Captiva lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been thinking about traveling to Sanibel and Captiva this Sept. We have never been to this part of Florida. We have narrowed down the lodging to Seaside Inn, Sanibel Inn and Southseas Island Resort. No children and we are in our 40s. Any pros or cons on these? We like to bike, walk, play a little golf and lay on the beach.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I can tell you first hand not to go to Southseas. We were just there and it is FAR from finished. I know you are talking Spetember, but this resort was completely blown away. The roads are clear but there is no greenery anywhere. When were there, there were just a few rooms done, and most of ther resrot is still under construction. Do not go by the webiste. I don't know where those photos were taken but they are not from South Seas!

When we checked in we drove to our room, a BF Villa only to find construction trucks everywhere and in our room was a guy still putting it together and told us the room will not be ready for a while. AND they were charging $189.00 special rate for the room. We tried 2 more rooms only to find the same. We left with a refund and went to the Tween Waters Inn. We had the best time there! We had a beautiful room overlooking the Gulf, full breakfast, coupons, free internet service for 169.00 per night.

I was warned before going to South seas too from the kind fodorites. I thought "how bad can it be" Well it was really, really bad. So I am just passing that along to you. From Waht I saw of Southseas it will not be ready for another year.

We are going back to Tween in July for my birthday. We will take a drive down there and see out of curiousity and I will let you know.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I can tell you first hand not to go to Southseas. We were just there and it is FAR from finished. I know you are talking Spetember, but this resort was completely blown away. The roads are clear but there is no greenery anywhere. When were there, there were just a few rooms done, and most of ther resrot is still under construction. Do not go by the webiste. I don't know where those photos were taken but they are not from South Seas!

When we checked in we drove to our room, a BF Villa only to find construction trucks everywhere and in our room was a guy still putting it together and told us the room will not be ready for a while. AND they were charging $189.00 special rate for the room. We tried 2 more rooms only to find the same. We left with a refund and went to the Tween Waters Inn. We had the best time there! We had a beautiful room overlooking the Gulf, full breakfast, coupons, free internet service for 169.00 per night.

I was warned before going to South seas too from the kind fodorites. I thought "how bad can it be" Well it was really, really bad. So I am just passing that along to you. From Waht I saw of Southseas it will not be ready for another year.

We are going back to Tween in July for my birthday. We will take a drive down there and see out of curiousity and I will let you know. We are also in our 40's and no kids, so we were looking for the same as you...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Annabel - thank you so much! I had not thought that they got so much damage, but it looks like there are several places still down from the hurricanes. That is one of the reasons we are driving and not flying - you don't know when the next one will hit and Sept. can be really bad. I will check out Tween also. Anyone with an word on Sanibel Inn??
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Just visited Sanibel in may...We stayed at casa Ybel and it was very nice..we went past almost all the resorts in Sanibel-Captiva and we thought casa looked the best..
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:28 PM

i grew up going to sanibel as a child. we had a reunion and stayed at mitchell's sand castles last summer. it is right on the beach. there are probably 6-10 cottage like places. our family had two three bedroom homes, but it looked like they had smaller ones as well. each had a kitchen, bathroom, patio/porch. service was good. they'd bring you towels when you needed them. right on the beach. and with two pools. google mitchells sand castle for their website. great place. best wishes.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I stayed at Forty Fifteen, right next to Mitchell's Sand Castles. I loved Forty Fifteen - a very quiet neighborhood (mostly residential) and you are directly on the gulf of mexico. And the rates are incredibly cheap. I don't know if Mitchell's has a pool, but Forty Fifteen does. My understanding is that both are now owned by the same owner. Anyway, this is definitely where I would go on Sanibel b/c everything is clean, nicely appointed (though not luxury), and the location is phenomenal. Plus at Forty Fifteen you get your own kitchen, which was nice especially for breakfast and for bringing home doggie bags.

Both of these places have web sites - just google them.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks for these added suggestions. With the tropical storms already coming and Sept. a little while off, I hope there is something left standing by the time we get there
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM
MSS

Your itinerary sounds like ours when we go to Sanibel. Have you considered a condo for the same price as these places? We used to stay in the resorts -Song of the Sea, and South Seas, but found the condos are larger, beautiful, with full kitchens, and the same price. Sanibel Moorings is gorgeous (at least the one we stayed in) and has a very nice welcome basket when you arrive. The full kitchen allowed us to prepare breakfast and eat on the screened in patio while watching the waves. There was even a lime tree right outside our door and we picked up the ones falling on the ground. Made for some great margaritas. There is a golf course nearby, and also bike rentals.

You can also go to South Seas and take one of the cruises to the outer islands, but don't know if they are up and running since the hurricane. We have been on most of them is past years.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

I worry about renting a condo because of the deposits and some of the refund policies. With the weather so uncertain in Sept. I don't want to get stuck.