Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sanibel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sanibel-314832/)

bevmil May 8th, 2003 07:58 AM

Sanibel

We're three long-time friends, women, celebrating our 60th birthdays...wanting a getaway for a few days by ourselves. Want something very nice, right on the beach, restaurant facilities, not overrun with kids. Looking into Casa Ybel, Sanibel Inn, Sundial, Song of the Sea.....confused about things being "overpriced and old". Looking for a 1 bedroom suite or something like that. Suggestions?
Bev.

bec May 9th, 2003 07:22 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Shalimar in Sanibel and loved it. Minimal small children, on the beach with nice rooms - but not big or luxurious. Reasonabley priced as I recall.

boots741 May 13th, 2003 04:00 AM

I just returned from Sanibel Inn two days ago. My wife and I loved the place. We had a gulf view room, which provided an unobstructed view of the beach, and gulf. the rooms were clean, and well decorated. The Sanibel Inn is right on the beach, and the employees will put out lounge chairs each morning on the beach. There were some kids there, but not many. The atmosphere was very laid back. by 10 o' clock each night most people were asleep, and by 6:30 in the morning many more were already walking the beach looking for shells. All in all we had a great time, and would recommend the Sanibel Inn..

haydencat May 13th, 2003 05:13 PM

I grew up vacationing every summer at Casa Ybel, and my parents still go there every year now that they are retired. The rooms at Casa Ybel are very nice, all suites I believe, with kitchens and 1 or 2 bedrooms. The atmosphere of the resort has that laid-back "Old Florida" feel to it. The rooms in the newer buildings are a bit nicer and larger, but I believe they are more expensive. I've also stayed at the Sundial, during a business retreat, and although it's nice enough I much prefer Casa Ybel. In the summertime you can expect to find kids at any of the resorts on Sanibel. May is great month to visit the island, though, with very few kids and great weather. Have fun!

haydencat May 13th, 2003 05:18 PM

I almost forgot...Casa Ybel also has a restaurant on premises, the Thistle Lodge, which is housed in a beautiful old mansion with an interesting history. I believe the food is very good, but I haven't eaten there in a while so I can't vouch for it 100%. It's located steps from the beach, with beautiful views.

tjfergus May 13th, 2003 06:40 PM

Thistle Lodge is great. We went last year and would hightly recommend it. A bit high on the $$$$ side but well worth it for that special night out.

We have stayed at Pointe Santo most recently and the condo was beautiful. Most there are recently remodeled but be sure to inquire from the rental agency. The beach front condos are right on the beach. We had a beach front last year and were greatly pleased. Casa Ybel is very nice too.

Returning this year to Sundial for more activities for the kids.

marthag May 14th, 2003 12:00 AM

I'd like to add a hearty endorsement for Pointe Santo de Sanibel. I've stayed there six or seven times and the condos are large and lovely, and very sound proofed. The direct ocean front units are so close to the water that when you look out the window from the bed in the master bedroom, you feel like you are floating in the gulf. Please check this property out. I usually stayed on the third or fourth floor, to get a better view.