Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SanFran itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sanfran-itinerary-393557/)

blueeeyes03 Jul 12th, 2008 08:47 AM

SanFran itinerary

First time posting although I've been reading post for a while. Headed with the wife to San Fran from Tampa on July 30th - Aug. 4th. First time to California. We are 31 and 28 and are open to all activities. We definitely want to go to Alcatraz (this is my main reason for this vacation). Day or night tour recommendations? Also thinking of getting the Go Card. Looking at going to wine country one full day.Heard about the Muir woods fires. Is it worth seeing and have the fires ceased? Also want to bike the golden gate and go to the park for the Japanese Tea garden etc... We would like to see a show. Is Beach Blanket Babylon a decent show. We are staying at the Orchard Hotel in Union square. Lastly we love to eat but aren't into the fancy type spots. We love great pizza and restaurants with a fun atmosphere where we can enjoy a drink or two. Thanks ahead and any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

azzure Jul 12th, 2008 09:09 AM

You will definitely need advance reservations for the Alcatraz night tour (which I recommend)...the tickets are sold through a concessionaire; just google Alcatraz tickets for the web site. You probably need advance reservations for BBB as well, although you may get in on a weekday night. Better get crackin'! :-)

Supercilious Jul 12th, 2008 09:19 AM

Muir Woods is fine-just very crowded on weekends. Go during the week and early in the morning is best. Then you could go on to the Wine Country. Lots of great info about that here if you search back through older threads.

We've wanted to do the Go Car tour too. Maybe in September when we are down for the Not Just Bluegrass festival.

Another interesting activity you might want to check out is the Angel Island Segway tours. They look like fun.

http://www.angelisland.com/activities/index.php

ncounty Jul 12th, 2008 10:11 AM

Looks like a fantastic agenda to me. You may want to return on a later trip for more of the wine country. For one day only, try Napa to Calistoga OR, Sonoma to Healdsburg and then back through Russian River. Golden Gate park is great for a bike ride. Your hotel is very well located; we usually stay right next door at the Sir Francis Drake. Our hotel has a beautiful restaurant and we usually have brunch there. Another option is Sears Fine Food right across the street with 18 mini swedish pancakes. Both places have great corned beef hash. You can walk to Chinatown from your hotel. Definitely book Alcatraz asap. I haven't made it there yet! due to inability to get tickets last minute. I wasn't wild about Beach Blanket Babylon but I was only in my early 20s and it wasn't my schtick then.

traveldawg Jul 12th, 2008 10:26 AM

Do Beach Blanket. You will enjoy it as it is different. You can buy a ticket for the show only and eat at CAPPS near the theater. Good food, been there forever, not expensive.

MichelleY Jul 12th, 2008 10:46 AM

I don't think there are any fires at the Muir Woods. The big fire is down the coast, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away at Big Sur. To see Muir Woods & a wine area, rent a car for a day or so.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I also like the Conservatory of Flowers at GG park.

MY

dmlove Jul 12th, 2008 03:08 PM

I think you'll enjoy the restaurants on Belden Alley -- little french bistros all in a row with tables outside. Try Plouf for mussels. Mid-priced.

If you're into food and water views, don't miss the Ferry Bldg. - huge farmer's market on Saturday mornings, but lots of permanent food shops,too. Get a coffee and watch the "scene" out back - boats, people, etc. You can eat as inexpensively or as expensively as you want here.

Kal Jul 12th, 2008 03:31 PM

North Beach Pizza's Pier 39 location.
Good pie and good views.

Taylor's Refresher at Ferry Marketplace.
Good grub in informal setting.

Butterfly right by the Pier that takes you to Alcatraz has some good appetizers.

blueeeyes03 Jul 12th, 2008 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info. so far...Alcatraz night tours were already sold out...Booked the 3:55 on Thursday instead...Are there any other shows worth seeing...We went to NY last year and I surprisingly loved the broadway shows...Any other can't miss sights would be welcome...I left a full day open on my itinerary...Don't want to have too many must sees and stress myself out...

rosebud Jul 12th, 2008 07:38 PM

I think just wandering around Chinatown can be a lot of fun...just a thought.

planning_ahead Jul 13th, 2008 12:54 AM

check out any of Stu Dudley recommendations. We have bought stairway walks book recommended on this forum and hope to make use of it in September
Hilary

crazyhorse42 Jul 14th, 2008 05:42 AM

I also recommend crossing the Golden Gate Bridge over to Sausalito. This is my family's absolute favorite place to visit in the Bay Area! It has many great restaurants, boutiques, and hotels and is the perfect place to spend an afternoon. You can either drive there or take a ferry over. We have done both, but if it's your first time to California, you may want to drive there since you get to cross the beautiful bridge to get there!