Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sandestin Dining Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sandestin-dining-suggestions-412908/)

smj Mar 19th, 2004 07:39 AM

Sandestin Dining Suggestions

Hello. We are going to Sandestin Hilton Apr 7-12. We are a family of 5. Kids are 13,11,7. Looking for casual dining options with decent prices. Not interested in the chain restaurants. The Intrawest Sandestin seems to have much more choices than the Hilton. Any thoughts on Intrawest dining? Thanks.

arf2003 Mar 19th, 2004 08:17 AM

You have to go to Red Bar in Grayton Beach (which is a few miles east of Sandestin). Also, all places at Seaside are family friendly. www.seasidefl.com Seaside has many activities for kids of all ages (story time, movie night, etc.) Check their calender. www.30-A.com is a really good website too!

smj Mar 19th, 2004 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info.

Rosemary1 Mar 19th, 2004 10:06 AM

We were staying in Destin almost two years ago and I heard about the Red Bar on this forum. We went there for my birthday and the place is a hoot!!! Lots of fun, great service and ambiance, take your camera, you'll be glad you did. Have a great time!

smj Mar 19th, 2004 01:36 PM

I just looked up Red Bar on www.graytonbeach.com. It says No Credit Cards. Think I'll pass, though it does look like a lot of fun. I'm kind of obsessed with my hotel points credit card. Any other suggestions? Anyone, anyone? Thanks.

Rosemary1 Mar 19th, 2004 01:54 PM

It sounds to me as though you're limiting your options for a rather bizarre reason. The Red Bar is not by any means expensive. Pardon me, but when you ask for a non-chain restaurant, which happens to be a very unique experience, a credit card deal breaker sounds somewhat ridiculous. Just MHO. Oh well, I tried to share a really fun experience for you. So be it.

smj Mar 19th, 2004 05:34 PM

Thank you for your suggestion Rosemary. I do appreciate it. Please don't take my response personally. However, yes, by not taking credit cards, it is out for me. Perhaps hard to understand for some? I suppose you're right. Bizzare? Not so sure about that. I've become very used to just using the plastic. There was a time when I was hitting the ATM just a little too much. By charging, I don't use the ATM nearly as much, plus I get the credit card points. Believe me, I'm actually now much more disciplined than I was in the past. Sorry if it sounds kind of crazy.

Rosemary1 Mar 19th, 2004 06:01 PM

smj, Understood, however, I would hate for you to miss the Red Bar, it's really something! I forgot to mention the food, very, very good! Before I left for that vacation The Travel Channel did a show on it which made it even more tempting. Perhaps you could stash some cash beforehand to use just for the experience. I hope you reconsider. If not, there's plenty of other good haunts in that area, have a great time!

smj Mar 19th, 2004 06:41 PM

Just might have to try it! It's always so helpful to hear how much people enjoy dining experiences. Thanks again Rosemary.

ellen_griswold Mar 19th, 2004 06:52 PM

Hi Rosemary, we'll definitely try Red Bar, it sounds like our kind of place. We'll be in the area soon, and i'll report back. Thanks for the tip.