Kenai Penisula & Denali Family Fun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I thought I'd posted a message earlier today, but can't find it, so I'll try again!

We have 2 daughters, ages 13 and 9, who like interesting, new experiences. They aren't all-day hikers, but like adventures & short hikes to destinations!

So, I thought that they would love Alaska--glaciers, beautiful scenery, interesting villages, incredible wildlife, etc.

We can come for 8 days...Is it too much to try to fit in Denali, Seward & Homer?

Would you all recommend motels w/ the kids, or a small RV for 4 people?

Thanks for your input!

Sunflower2
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just click on your own name and all your posts will become visible. Here's the earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34483542
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM

I would recommend an RV, gives more options for the kids, plus the bonus of a bathroom. But rent at least a 24 footer so to have a permanant bedroom. It's a pain to have to convert every night in a smaller RV, also less comfort. I really liked Great Alaskan Holidays for their rentals and Alaska State Park permits included. You can do Denali, Seward and Homer in 8 days. But be sure to consider Anchorage and a stop in Talkeetna. For something different maybe a glacier trek with MICA guides??
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo for teaching me how to use this site better, and to be able to find my posts!

And, Budget Queen, I've read a number of your posts as I've been thinking about Alaska options, and I very much appreciate your opinions & wisdom on our trip. THANKS.

Do you think that it comes out about even--the cost of an RV & gas vs. hotel & food?

And, more important, can the roads to Seward, Homer, & Denali handle an RV without any problem?

How would you recommend splitting up our time between these 3 places and Anchorage & Talkeetna?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Sunflower2
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Figure 10mpg-ave. With 4 it probably will be slightly more cheaper as B&B's are tougher to get accommadating 4. Lodges are costly?? The roads are well maintained and perfect for RV driving- very easy. With 8 days??- 2 Denali Park, 2 Homer, 1 Seward, 1 Talkeetna, 1-2 Anchorage area?? In Seward- I would have 1 1/2 days there if possible and then the one overnight?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I've been reading the travel books, and your suggested allotments of time in various places seems perfect.

Now, the question is this: We're currently unable to get airline tickets for this summer (due to the type of tickets we're traveling on). How is early March? We enjoy winter, don't mind cold, don't mind dark, etc.

Will the weather be nice enough (even if cold) in early March for us to have a wonderful travel experience?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

Sunflower2
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Posted these questions separately under "Weather in March", but since I'm still getting the hang of how this posting stuff works, wanted to add these questions to this main post:

For spring break, we're thinking about coming to Alaska w/ our 2 girls, ages 9 & 13.

Is the weather usually decent for touring?

We're okay with cold, but would the weather to be pleasant to be outside in (not below zero!)

Also, is Denali open in March?

Do boats offer tours in Seward in March?

Thanks!

Sunflower2
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM

Frankly forget coming in March for your priorities. Denali Park is "open" but no shuttles, and you will be hiking in. Not likely much wildlife sightings either. April is Mud season. There are some good reasons to travel in March though- the Iditrod race, Fairbanks- Ice Sculpting championships www.icealaska.com supurb northern lights. Out of Fairbanks you should be well experienced in winter driving and especially on ice. It can be cold but not like in January. Decent daylight- dusk 6-7 pm. Rates are low- but none of the "tourist attractions" are open. Scenery is superior. At the end of March - maybe gray whale watching out of Seward- but last few years the numbers have been coming through in April. For me- yes March is perfect- I'm making my second March trip tomorrow- for 2 weeks.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Budget Queen. What do you enjoy about going in March?

My priorities are fun & interesting experiences for the kids---something different, enjoyable, memorable.

The trip would be totally different, but I'm still inclined to consider it if there's enough open.

We'd give up wildlife, it sounds like (not a huge deal probably to the kids), but we'd still have:

* gorgeous scenery,
* glaciers (can we walk to a glacier in mid March?),
* interesting villages near Homer (accessible in March?)
* roads from Anchorage to Homer & Seward are fine, right?, in March
* boats running from Seward wouldn't be as great because of no wildlife, I guess, so we'd give that, BUT we'd get
* Iditarod (best place to view that is Seward?
* Ice sculpting in Fairbanks (very cool)

I'd love to know what you enjoy during your 2 week trip in March.

THanks again for your incredible help.

Sunflower2
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I answered this on your other thread. Although she did say you ought to forget March given your priorities, I'll go a bit further and differ with BQ somewhat on this one. Today it's 5 above on the Seward Highway at Summit Lake; blowing snow on the Seward cutoff, low tonight expected around zero. In Fairbanks it's forecast for 20 below tonight, but warming into the teens for highs over the weekends. Anchorage is in the teens and forecast for the 20s. The main roads are okay today, except around Fairbanks; the side roads, e.g., to Hope, a village on the S. shore of Turnagain Arm, are black ice.

It can warm up in March so that the old snow turns into new mud. It can also rain, then freeze, then snow, then repeat the cycle. I remember sitting in Simon's (a bar/restaurant) in Anchorage one St Patrick's day while in three hours (or five beers, I can't remember which) it snowed two feet outside the window. Cars were sliding sideways down the hill to Bootlegger's Cove, despite snow-savvy drivers. That's mid-March for you.

Now I don't know where you live or how accustomed you (or your girls) are to being inside a car for hours at a time with conditions or temperatures like that outside. When my son was 9 and living in Alaska in March, he went stir crazy when we went on even short drives under those circumstances.

You will see virtually no wildlife, except possibly the odd moose scrounging in peoples' yards in Anchorage. There are more whales to be seen in Hawaii in March than in Alaska, and it's not ten below in Kona.

You can see the Iditarod "start" in downtown Anchorage, but unless you go into the bush or fly to Nome for the finish, that's all you'll see in person.

The villages around Homer (not sure which ones) are available but will have no tourist facilities open. Flying in light planes in March can be tough if the weather's poopy.

Ice sculpture for 9 and 13 year olds? Maybe, but that sounds to me like a pretty skinny reason to spend thousands of dollars and fly thousands of miles. Your opinion (and theirs) may differ.

I know this sounds harsh, but March and April are when thousands of Alaskans head "outside." The one time we hosted significant friends from the states in March was for a wedding - ours. It was a wonderful event, life-changing in fact - but aside from the wedding events, all the outsiders were very disappointed that they were pretty much trapped in Anchorage - minimal faciltiies, tantalizing scenery but inaccessible.

Now there's one big exception to this idea that I'm duty bound to mention. Alyeska. Are you skiiers? Interested in learning downhill or cross-country? If so, then Girdwood/Alyeska would contradict everything above. Great place, beautiful, fine facilities, good for kids and teens, plenty to do when combined with town stuff in Anchorage. Day trip to Seward if conditions are okay - maybe go to Mitch Seavey's Ididaride dogsled concession there (he just won tie Iditarod); go out on a boat on Resurrection Bay if conditions allow...things like that. But do them as lucky add-ons, not the reason for the trip, because you just can't count on Mother Nature cooperating in March.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful comments, BQ & Gardyloo, re March. The ice scultping, northern lights, & Iditarod all sound great....the weather & road conditions in March sound a bit iffy for us.

We love the snow, & I've been to Alaska twice in the 80s--once in the summer & once in the winter (before kids--maybe 15 yrs ago--to Nome, Teller, Brevig, Kotzebue, & Anchorage).

Fabulous trips, wonderful people, incredible scenery & I"d love for our kids to experience the culture & uniqueness of Alaska.

We do also enjoy skiing, but could obviously find much less expensive destinations for skiing.

My interest in Alaska is the beauty, the people, the whole culture that i'd like our kids to experience.

I don't think the wildlife matter that much to the kids, but i'd like to be MOBILE--which may or may not be a problem, depending on the weather....

So, keep me posted on your thoughts about March in Alaska. We aren't able to get airline tickets for the summer so March is our only option right now.

Thanks! Sunflower