Search

San Antonio GTG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio GTG

Message: OK, compadres and comadres, let's have a Fodorite GTG for ourselves. I'll start the ball rolling and offer to serve as the anchor person. If interested, send an email with suggested dates and venues to [email protected]
(I will also post on the Europe board)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:40 PM
P_M

I live in Austin, but might be able to come if it's on a weekend. I'll e-mail you shortly.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM
P_M

topping for Seamus
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Well, it looks like there's not a lot of interest in a San Antonio GTG right now - only a couple replies. Proposed venue is Linerty Bar if that matters. I'll keep track of interest as we go...
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Have you posted this on the European forum, as well? I know there are a couple of Austinites who post over there.

I'd love to attend if I were in Houston around that time.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:42 AM
dcespedes

Hi Seamus, you can count me in--do you have a time frame in mind?

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Statia - yes, I did indeed post nthe Europe board as well
dcespedes - great! email me at [email protected] and I will add you to the (thus far short) list.
Tentative schedule is late March, perhaps a Saturday or Sunday, venue Liberty Bar, other suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Topping (which I also did on European board).

Liberty Bar sounds good -- I've never been there but it should be easy to get to and sounds like an interesting place.

Email on the way.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Sounds like a good excuse for a welcoming party for OO of Tampa, just moved to San Antonio.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:10 AM
dcespedes

Great idea, Patrick!

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:30 AM
OO

I just googled Liberty Bar and it looks neat: "it leans to the left as do many of its patrons". LOL We'll be there, a welcome break from packing boxes by then no doubt.

PS...the sun does shine in SA, right? This is not the norm...please say "no".
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM
dcespedes

OO, welcome to February! Come August you'll be praying for the past weeks weather! As you know, it is a warm and lovely 73+ degrees today but by weeks end we'll be breaking out the woolies--there's an old saying, "if you don't like the weather in Texas wait a minute" ;-) Welcome to San Antonio!

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
OO

Thanks for the welcome dcespedes. Yesterday was pretty. I spent a couple of hours walking through the King William area yesterday afternoon. Awesome! Took my DH back there last night and he wondered why we hadn't looked at houses there. I $uspect there are $everal reasons for that! $)
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM

OO, I'm going to be in Houston next week and certainly wish I could get up there to see you, but I'll be helping my mom move and don't see where I'll have time to get away. But, the next trip up you are on my list!

Regarding the weather, I was just notified by my sister about the chill being expected to return and told to pack accordingly. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to some nippy weather.

I sure wish I could join the San Antonio GTG since I'm missing the Houston GTG in April. Have a blast all you San Antone Fodorites!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
dcespedes

Hi OO, I love it down there and am happy to see older parts of the city, near the Blue Art Space, being revitalized. Friends of ours have a beautiful house in the King William District, on King William, for which they paid 800K three years ago to give you some idea of price--a steal depending on which part of the country you're from. The house, on a corner lot has a detached gate house, pool, and backs up to the Riverwalk. Relatively speaking, housing is very affordable here.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:07 AM
dcespedes

Hi Statia,

I hope things go well for you and your mom--please enjoy a safe trip!

Re: the GTG, so close and yet so far, eh? We remain two Fodorites passing in the night ;-) AnnMarie

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Hi OO - King William is a beautiful area. It reminds me that for my first job years ago I had to take the bank deposit to the bank every day. I stumbled across the houses in King William one day so I always had to take a "shortcut" thru there on my way back from the bank. This was in the late 70's early 80's. At that time there were several of those beautiful old homes set up as apartments and they looked pretty close to being flophouses. I always felt sorry for the houses being degraded so. But there was already work being done on some of the other houses and it wasn't too long before these were rescued also.

Statia - too bad your trip has to be for such a non-fun reason. Enjoy your visit with your mom.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the sentiments AnnMarie and sundowner. Here's to hoping that I hit one of the Texas GTG's at some point in time.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
OO

Good luck with your Mom's move Statia--yet another stressful time in Houston for you and a getaway might be a welcomed break. I'll be here for your next trips though, and will be counting on a visit. We can plan another GTG just for the event. This will almost certainly be "it" for our corporate moves, and could well be the end of moves altogether. I think we could easily park ourselves permanently in SA.

Actually, I'm heading back to FL, probably tomorrow...it's time for the annual boat teak job which I get to do all by my lonesome this year, and will go from that to the actual move in the next 2-3 weeks. Just one bit of fun after another!

sundowner...imagine if you'd bought one of those houses then! There are a couple at the very end of King William or the street that parallels it that may still be apartments. They've got beautiful bones under their somewhat deteriorated exteriors, but most now appear to be fully restored. 800K for that is such a steal, and I don't even need or want one of the huge ones...the cottages are gorgeous too. We've found housing prices extremely reasonable for certain...although we ended up spending a fair amount over what we thought we would...so what else is new!

As pretty and romantic as the Riverwalk area is, I hope tourists make it away from that area and see what else the city has to offer. I'm impressed with what seems to be happening in the revitalization of the downtown area too. Lots of changes since we were here last!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
OO

Seamus...I received this error message from my email to you today, and the mail bounced back: The IP address (blahblahblah) has no inverse DNS configured. Problem is on my end and probably has to do with the hotel wireless connection. Will try to re-send it from FL in the next day or so when I get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -