San Rafael Wedge Overlook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, it's TravelinVic again. Husband and I were supposed to leave for Utah/Arizona last week but we had a death in the family. SO grateful we were able to re-do our entire 12 day itinerary and leave next week. We were determined to get back to the area after 10 yrs. So this gives me more time for questions. We fly into Salt Lake (from Cincinnati) and are driving down to Torrey as a first stop. I was just reading that the San Raefel Wedge Overlook is one of the most scenic spots in the state. Some of you were kind enough to tell me how to get down to Torrey from Salt Lake via I-15, 50 and 24. Would it be less scenic, and take TOO long to go I-15, to Hwy. 6 and exit at Highway 10 (Price), in order to see this overlook, and then head to Torrey on 72? As always, thanks for any help.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

I might have been too vague in my message. We are doing a circular trip in Utah, starting in Torrey which we will drive to from Salt Lake City.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM

I never time anything. So I am trying to remember how long we took to see this. We camped at Huntington Reservoir (probably about 3 hrs to get there from SLC), spent some time looking at some of the different viewpoints. I was completely astonished at the scenery at the wedge. I couldn't understand how I had never heard of it all my life living here. But I felt it was worth the drive. You do know however that it is dirt road and conditions may not be appropriate for passenger car. I have no idea who would have the most up to date info. Most rental contracts don't allow for off paved road driving. So just keep that in mind if you still decide to do it.

Then we headed down Buckthorn Wash stopping again at some significant spots. I'm thinking we finished about midday. We found some other places in the area, and then drove back home.

I'd estimate it would add 3 hrs to your drive. Would that still give you enough time to see Capitol Reef? If not then spend your time first at Capitol Reef. So much there to see as well.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:25 PM

I've never heard of the Wedge Overlook. I have hiked Little Wildhorse Canyon-which is part of the swell. It is on the backside near Goblin Valley. You can definately see the swell just driving on I-70. I did a really good flyover of Canyonlands once with slickrock air out of Moab. I'm sure they would fly over the swell if you wanted them to.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

InSandy and Spiro: Thanks SO much for the info! As much as we'd like to go the Wedge Overlook route, we will need to pass bet. the dirt road and timeframe! Sounds wonderful tho.