Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > San Juan Islands, please help me decide which one

San Juan Islands, please help me decide which one

May 5th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Danie

San Juan Islands, please help me decide which one

We are planning a 4-5 day trip to the San Juan Islands in August, and can't decide on which one. We are a family or four (adult children in their 20's). We like all the outdoor activities and would like upscale accomodations. Which one of the islands would you guys recommend? Mom and Dad are celebrating their 30 wedding anniversary.

May 5th, 2002, 07:14 PM
lisa

It's easy to go back and forth between the main islands by ferry, so you don't have to plan on only being at one. All have plenty of outdoor activities. I'd suggest you home base it on San Juan Island, and be sure to visit Orcas for the view from the top of the mountain there. Lopez Island is known for bicycling.

If you have the opportunity, hire a boat and go to one of the islands without ferry service. Try Sucia, which is north of San Juan Island. It is a marine park.

May 16th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Stephani

I agree, you should stay in the town of Friday Harbor, a cute town with a lot to see. Visit "Lime Kiln" park at the opposite side of that island to see the orcas. You should have plenty of time to visit Lopez and Orcas Islands also. Make sure to visit Orcas Island (great views from the top of the mountain). There is not much to do on Lopez, only a small village, but nice beaches, and a lot of bicycles in the summer.

Search this Thread