Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Jose, CA Grand Prix - Roads closed in city center

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're planning to visit San Jose, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley during July 29, 30, 31 - The first ever SJ Grand Prix is being set up downtown - expect 30,000 extra people to want the same things you want.

This means massive fencing and barricades --- and several road closures. FYI : Be aware of the closures and traffic issues to avoid travel headaches.

This event should affect airport traffic.
Downtown hotels have been booked for months.
Your favorite watering hole or restaurant just may be busier.

Anticipate delays of all types - and ENJOY!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM

This is pretty exciting. We didn't get tickets, but we are going to go downtown anyway to see what we can see. Hopefully it turns out well and becomes a regular event.

Another plus - the local businesses will be able to make up some of the money they didn't make due to the cancelation of hockey last season.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM

J, the hockey drought is over, they've said! Go Sharks!!!! (it means less figure skating on TV, darn!)
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Some decent views might be had at Scott's on Park Ave. Possibly the pool level at the Fairmont - but that place is always buttoned up for downtown events.

If House of Pizza on Almaden is open for biz, their parking lot could offer some sunny views for mornings. (The afternoon sun will be a little annoying from that vantage point.) I walked the course with my camera last night and saw their booth inside the fences.

I'm stoked. We used to have to drive south to Laguna Seca or north to Sears Point to see the races. Now, they've arrived in SJ. When I was 12 or so, Paul Newman once stood next to me at the fences at Laguna Seca. OK, that was 25 years ago. Now, I would say that I stood next to him.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Yep - definitely looking forward to hockey. October 5. I am a little anxious about some of the proposed changes that the league is considering though. One that would change the game tremendously is if they moved the net back a couple feet, basically eliminating the action in the corners and behind the net. That action is some of the most intense in the entire game.