San Francisco's Best Areas to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Anna

Hello,
I'm going to San Francisco on vacation for the first time and I'm a little confused as to what area to stay in...Can anyone who lives in (or knows) San Francisco, recommend the BEST and Safest Area to stay in.

So far I've booked the Omni Hotel in the Financial District (which I hear is pretty desolate at night) and the Nikko (in the Union Sq area).

I'd appreciate any advise as to "where" to stay. I would also like to be fairly close to public transportation, since I won't be renting a car. What I know so far, is that I don't want to stay right on Powell Street,
because I don't want to hear the trolleys all night long!

Thank you!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Karen

You might rethink - Powell Street. That is where the Westin St Francis Hotel is located right across from Union Square.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Patrick

After a number of trips to SF, I now love staying out on Union Street (not to be confused with Union Square) area or Cow Hollow, but for your first trip to the city, definitely stay near Union Square. You can't beat the Nikko. Stay right there and I'm sure you'll be happy. I know you asked for people who live there, but I think you are smarter asking other tourists where to stay, unless you want to be a resident, not a tourist and miss all the usual fun stuff.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:25 AM
George

Patrick makes a good point.

Often, the locals deride attractions as too touristy, or kitschy. I've noticed this often with San Francisco.

Fisherman's Wharf can be fun (though I was there on 9/11, and it wasn't much fun then.) The cable cars, the Golden Gate--there a lot of neat things to see there. And Yerba Buena Gardens, SFMOMA--just awesome.

These things are what the vacation-travel experience is all about. Let's recognize it--not deride others who haven't yet had that experience.

By the way, I agree with Union Square as a place to stay. We were at the Sir Francis Drake, and the cable-car stopped right out front. Now that's service!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
xt

For one thing, San Francisco is a relatively small city with many big city problems. Although areas such as Union Square are places where tourists tend to stay, be very careful venturing off too far in an unknown area due to the significant increase in crime over the past few years. By the way, are you traveling alone? I agree that the financial district is desolate at night, as most of the downtown area is after 6 PM, so I would not recommend staying there. Fisherman's Wharf, although touristy, would be a good place to stay.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:28 AM
lovesSF

I live in San Francisco, and also work across the street from the brand new Omni Hotel.

Please do not discard this hotel as a choice simply because of its location. During the day it is a hub of commerce. Some of the best restaurants, Chinese, Italian, etc. are all within easy walking distance of only two blocks. These include City View for dim sum, Henry's Hunan for spciy chinese, R&G Lounge for traditional chinese favorites, the new Jeanty at Jack's is just around the corner, as is Francis Ford Copola's wine bar. There's Molinari's Delicatessan a few blocks away, along with all the other great north beach restaurants.

The Omni Hotel is truly a wonderful remodel of an old 1920's building. They have done a terrific job of replicating the era. I have seen the rooms, and while they are on the small size, the public areas of the hotel are beautifully decorated and spacious.

I would not hesitate to walk in the financial district at night. Most of the panhandlers are in the Union Square area anyway where they are assured of an easy handout, and not in the financial district.

I would not stay at the Nikko. While it is a very good hotel, I think it's too near the Tenderloin to be considered a safe location.

The Sir Francis Drake and the Westin St. Francis are both very good, also, and I would not hesitate to stay at either of these.

I would also consider the Prescot Hotel, just behind the Westin on Post Street. It's a wonderful small hotel with reasonable rates. Try to get a room on the concierge level. The rooms are small, but the service is excellent.

Please avoid the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area and those on Market Street (other than the new Four Seasons). They are not acceptable.

Welcome to San Francisco, and enjoy your trip!!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:47 PM
kam

"Best" is such a subjective word and you are seeing the results of asking for that. I don't live in SF, I live down the Peninsula in Palo Alto, which means that while I am in the city very often, sometimes I "play tourist" and stay overnight. So from those two points of view, my recommendations. The Omni is a lovely new restored hotel. It's in a fairly good location, close to the California street cable car (not the very popular Powell St. that goes to Union Square.) I wouldn't have difficulty walking in that area at night but it will be quiet and would be best to have another person with you. I don't know why the advice about don't stay at the Wharf, the hotels are unacceptable! You are a tourist and the only bad thing about the Wharf is the abundance of other tourists. It can actually be lots of fun. The last three times we overnighted we stayed at the old Fairmont, the St. Francis and the Hilton (ugh--it was a business thing) The Prescott is very nice,as is the Villa Florence and Kensington Park where we often direct European visitors. There are many more but these are the most central for someone who doesn't know the city well. To answer your "safest" question, probably Cow Hollow, Pacific Heights, or the Marina is the safest, but they're also a bit out of the way. You'll have a great time, just relax and don't get crazy about it. Oh, and if you stay in the tower at the St. Francis, I'm sure you won't hear the cable cars at all (and I'm pretty sure they don't run from about 12:30 AM to 5:30 AM)

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
sdelder

My husband and I were in SF 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Nob Hill Lambourne which is a 20 room boutique hotel. It is in a very safe and good location. This is a wonderful hotel, very luxurious with breakfast and wine and cheese included. I checked out the Orchard because of some good comments on this site and it looked super. The rates are good- I found one site that had $119 but I can't remember which one it was. We will probably stay there the next time to save a little. Have fun.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
xxxxx

Your kidding right? With San Francisco's explosive homeless population and high crime, I am sorry to say that there are very few if any sfe areas lest in San Francisco. I would feel much safer in New York City than SF any day of the week. At least NYC is a REAL City, not a pseudo city like SF that has a population of less than 750,000. That's a medium sized city, at best, or a large town. Many areas of SF have become so decrepit as to resemble Watts in South Central Los Angeles and the projects in West Philly.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
Anna

Thank you for your responses and advice.
I am coming with 2 other people, so I won't be alone. I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods of NYC, so I don't think I'll be shocked by seeing homeless people!LOL
My concern about the "boutique" hotels is that they seem to have small rooms.
Thanks again everyone!