San Francisco Wine Tours

Search

San Francisco Wine Tours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Wine Tours

What tour groups would you recommend for a wine tour of the Sonoma or Napa Valley vineyards? Will be two parents and two young adult children (over 21).
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Hopeline,

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in San Francisco this past July. Before we went, we scheduled a small group tour of wine country through one of the companies that specializes in this. However, upon arrival we got a phone call saying that the driver broke his wrist and our tour was cancelled. Heartbroken, we went to the conceirge and they set us up with a fantastic driver!!! I definitely suggest you explore this route - our driver was able to take us places based on our tastes and interests. He even set up our lunch reservations! It was a fantastic day and so much fun to have our own driver (you feel so special!).

That area is so beautiful - you and your family will have a great time!

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Rent a car. Drive over the Golden Gate bridge and straight North for 1.5 hrs until you come to Healdsburg..its the center of the Sonoma county wine country. Lovely little town, great shops and restaurants, and lots of wine tasting either around the square or at the wineries themselves..
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:46 AM

I agree with k....rent a car and drive up 101...very easy trip. Skip Napa, you will spend half your time sitting in traffic. Healdsburg is a great base and easy to access many wineries from there.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM

In the interest of having lots of fun without worrying about who will be doing the driving, I’m in the camp that you go with an organized wine country tour. Your hotel concierge will have suggestions on the wine tours that will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel.

Let me tell you, unless you plan on going for those appointment-only wineries (and, imho, this is the best way and only to do and taste the truly good and great wines of Napa and Sonoma, all for free and usually with first-hand interaction with the winemaker, vineyard manager and/or owner), then you should go with the bus or car tours from the city. They will get you to the wineries and have you attended to without the hassle of doing an on- your own visit to crowded tasting rooms and busy pouring staff.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 02:21 AM

McAllister

Do you have the details of the driver you used? I'm not staying in a hotel, so don't have a concierge to ask.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM

The post to which you replied is from March 2007.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 07:26 AM

California Wine Hikes is a nice option: http://www.californiawinehikes.com/index.php