Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco - What Area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-what-area-408438/)

thomjones Aug 5th, 2008 08:37 PM

San Francisco - What Area?

My wife and I are headed to the San Francisco area at the end of August for a week. Our plan is to spend 3-4 days week in the city and use it as our base to head to Sonoma and Napa to check out the wine region. We'll also be heading down to Santa Barbara for a concert, so that will tie up at least a couple of days. My question is what is a good area in San Francisco for a hotel? We'd prefer to stick to public transport/walking. On our to do list is Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Wharf, SF MOMA and definitely checking out some markets and restaurants.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mjs Aug 5th, 2008 09:29 PM

I think we need a little more information. Are you planning on staying in San Francisco and doing day trips to Napa and Sonoma? Are you planning on having a car?
You are planning on Napa, Sonoma, San Francisco and a concert in Santa Barbara in one week? What is your budget for a hotel?

thomjones Aug 6th, 2008 09:53 AM

Here are the specifics: We arrive in San Francisco on Aug.23 and leave on Aug.31. We have to be in Santa Barbara on Aug.28. I'd say we'll stay in San Francisco for the first few days before taking a couple days to make our way down the coast to Santa Barbara.

We do intend to head out to Napa/Sonoma for one or two day trips, returning to the city at night. We are looking at 4 star hotels likely in the downtown area. I've read that Fisherman's Wharf is a bit of a tourist trap and I'd like to avoid that. The key for us is good transport links because I'd like to avoid renting a car on the 2 days or so that we'll be staying within city limits.

Thx

suze Aug 6th, 2008 10:13 AM

Embarcadero? Or somewhere near Union Square?

dmlove Aug 6th, 2008 10:13 AM

Stay in the Union Square area. What is your budget?

thomjones Aug 6th, 2008 11:04 AM

Budget, well, I'm going to give Priceline a shot for the first time. I've seen 4 star hotels go for $125 or a little less in the downtown area. It's a bit of a crap shoot, but I figure I can't go too wrong if I stick to 4 stars.

From doing a little more research, I think I'll go with the Union Square East area. It looks like it has good transport links and has an abundance of 4 star hotels.

I've never planned a vacation like this in only a couple of weeks. It should be fun.

dmlove Aug 6th, 2008 11:12 AM

Union Square East is the "correct" area. Have fun.

Betsy Aug 6th, 2008 11:18 AM

We use PL for SF several times a year. I bid in the USE area and have always gotten the Hyatt Regency, which has wonderful comfy bedding. Be absolutely sure you understand the free rebid process to maximize your chance of success.

Report back in and let us know how you fared.

CaptCanuck Aug 6th, 2008 11:19 AM

My wife and I just got back from a 4 night stay in SF and absoloutely LOVED staying in the Embarcadero area at the Hotel Vitale. Just steps to public transport to Union Sq and beyone or a 20 minute walk,breakfast every morning in the ferry building across the street,great great restaurants in walking distance each evening (Boulevard, Slanted Door, Kokkarri and more)....we would definitely stay in that area again next time we visit!
cheers,
Mark

BeachGirl247 Aug 6th, 2008 01:08 PM

CaptCanuck, we loved Hotel Vitale, too. I think the location, hotel, and environs are perfect! Nothing like having a great view of the Bay Bridge out your window and on the terrace enjoying the wine and cheese you bought across the street at the Ferry Building.