Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco weekend in Dec (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-weekend-in-dec-278534/)

JanD Dec 9th, 2002 11:14 AM

San Francisco weekend in Dec

Hi All,<BR>We will be spending the last weekend of Dec in San Francisco. We are a famiy of four. I would like suggestions on the best neighborhood to stay. I am looking for a safe neighborhood which is close to attractions and good restaurants.<BR>Thanks!<BR>

J Dec 9th, 2002 11:19 AM

San Francisco is a small city, so in the major tourist areas, the big-name attractions are all relatively close. The two major hotel districts are Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. Both are touristy, and you'll hear plenty from SF bashers on this board about how Union Square is a den of filth and iniquity. (If you're coming from a city, you won't be shocked; if you're coming from Mayberry, USA, you might be.)<BR><BR>That said, I prefer Fisherman's Wharf if you're traveling with kids (how old?) Close to Borth Beach for good, cheap Italian food and a lively area to walk around and close to the piers with touristy shops and restauarants. It's not the &quot;real&quot; SF, but it sounds like what you're looking for in a quick trip since you asked to be near &quot;attractions.&quot;<BR><BR>If you can pinpoint places you'd like to see and ages of your kids, perhaps you'll get better recs.

JanD Dec 9th, 2002 11:33 AM

Thanks for the response. Kids are 14 and 9. As we are spending only the weekend we just want to see the highlights of SF so 'touristy' is ok. We live in 'Mayberry USA' so we'd rather not be 'shocked' :-)

J Dec 9th, 2002 11:37 AM

Perfect ages for Alcatraz (which, as an adult, I love!), and to enjoy the sea lions/seals (which are they, anyway) by the pier. Have fun!

Native Dec 9th, 2002 03:00 PM

Jan, As a native San Franciscan I just cannot understand why people on this board keep recommending tourists to stay in the Union Square Downtown area. It is not a safe and appealing place to be. The wharf would be the best. you may also want to consider staying in Berkeley. It's a great college town with lots to do around the campus area around Telegraph Avenue.<BR><BR>Alcatraz is really not worth it, definitely something to skip.

unNative Dec 9th, 2002 03:11 PM

I guess &quot;Native&quot; is a perfect example of the crazy people in SF? Please get help.

beachbum Dec 9th, 2002 03:29 PM

A year ago we stayed at the Lombard Motor Inn, a nice, clean, Best Western sort of quality place a few blocks from the top of the famous drive down Lombard. It's a little bit of a hike to/from Fisherman's Wharf, but an easier walk to the cable car, which gets you close to most of what you'd want to do.<BR><BR>The Lombard Motor Inn is located in Cow Hollow, a nice district with lots of good dining options if you're willing to explore.

Ed Dec 9th, 2002 06:42 PM

Native is correct about downtown. Berkeley would be a great place to stay and convenient to take BART into SF. In recent years, areas of SF have been geeting kind of dangerous at night.

e Dec 10th, 2002 04:37 AM

I was beat to a pulp by a crazy homeless person in the Union Square area last night because I would not give him any money. I ran and ran and ran until I escaped by going into Macy's where I was accosted by a girl spraying perfume which I am allergic to so I had a bad reaction and broke out in hive and the only thing I could do was dodge into Tiffany's where I was forced to look at diamond rings for hours and hours and then I escaped the clutch of those nasty people and ran back out into the street where I stepped in poop on the sidewalk and yeeeeech I then ran as fast as I could over to Columbus Avenue and ate Italian food and drank a whole bottle of chianti and then I puked in the gutter and man it was fun.

booby Dec 10th, 2002 08:19 AM

e<BR><BR>did you have fun?

xxx Dec 10th, 2002 08:24 AM

Why not just be helpful to this family, skip your so-called witty humor. Kids would like the boat ride and tour of Alcatraz. You can ride the trolley cars from Fisherman's Wharf area to other areas which would also be fun. Just like in any city, stay alert and go where the crowd goes, you'll be safe. Have a great trip!

xxxx Dec 10th, 2002 03:58 PM

Near the Fisherman's Wharf would be your best place to stay. Can get the boatrides to Alcatraz down there, take the cable cars to Union Square and it's pretty slow right now. That's nice - no waiting in long lines.<BR>Have fun!

Home in SF Dec 10th, 2002 07:04 PM

Oh boy here we go again with the Alcatraz thing. Alcatraz is a complete waste of time. And please be very careful about going Downtown, especially Union Square as the area can be kind of dangerous at night. The advice to stay over in Berkeley is something to consider. There is lots to do in that area including the Chabot Space and Science Center which the kids should really enjoy. If safety is your main concern, you probably should not stay in SF.

Pam Dec 11th, 2002 02:31 PM

If you are staying in the city with kids check out the Marina district. The idea of being in Berkeley is a good one. The Claremont Resort is great and you could also check out the Raddison in the Berkeley Marina. The Claremont has lots of activities and might be lovely at Christmas..it might also be booked but give it a try. You will be in close driving distance to the Chabot Space and Science Center. You will also be in close proximity to the Lawrence Hall of Science. Tilden Park has a Merry go round, a little train ride and lots of trails to hike or walk. You will be close to good restaurants. Berkeley is home to Chez Panisse which you could do with kids in the upstairs.(10minutes drive)Across the street from the Claremont is Rick and Ann's which is a very kid friendly place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can park at the Rockridge BART(rapid transit)(5 minute drive) and take Bart into the city for all those tourist sites.