Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Weather in October. What to expect.

Sep 14th, 1999, 09:12 AM
carolyn

Hi! Just wondering what the weather is like in San Francisco in October? I appreciate any info.

Sep 14th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Gail

Normally Sept-Oct is our "summer" with far less fog and "warmer" temps in the 70's and 80's and even up into the 90's at times. However, like most of the country we have not had "normal" weather this year. No spring and a far cooler and more overcast than normal summer for the bay area.Unfortunately I don't think you can predict what you will find here this Oct so you will have to come prepared for everything and follow the mantra of "dress in layers." Check one of the five day forcasts like USA Today before you come but be aware these can change quite quickly.

Sep 15th, 1999, 10:19 AM
cp

Gail is right that Sept and October are often our most pleasant months.

However, the mean temperature for SF in October is around 63 degrees for the high and 56 degrees for the low.

To me this means long pants, a Tshirt with a sweater over it and a windbreaker. Fog makes things seem much chillier than they are, so you'll want something to keep you warm in the evenings and early - mid morning.

Sep 15th, 1999, 04:06 PM
Gail

I don't mean to quibble with cp as I'm sure we could both agree that layering is almost always necessary in SF and considering how off weather has been so far this year and predictions for Oct remain iffy ,but I'm afraid there is some confusion over the use of "mean" and "average" temperatures. A mean temperature is the average between the high and low temperature for 24 hours. The mean temperature for a month is the average between the average monthly high and the average monthly low. For Oct in SF the average high is 68 and the avg low is 54. Our only warmer month is Sept with a avg high of 69. It is during these two months when we will have some temps into the 70's and 80's and of course depending when in Oct you are coming .I have seen extremely warm Octobers and also very cool and foggy Octobers. Considering what has happened so far this year , it's anybody's guess what you can actually expect for your trip.

Sep 17th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Mike

Hi Carolyn! My wife and I took a four day stopover in SF the first week in October last year. We had gorgous weather! Highs in the upper seventies near eighty the whole time and hardly any fog to speak of. Luckily we were on our way to Maui so we had shorts and the like with us. After being REPEATEDLY warned about how cold and foggy SF was going to be we would not have been prepared for what we found.I don't regret luging those heavy sweatshirts around but I'm glad we had shorts to put on. You best pack a bit of everything. And throw in a pair of shorts just in case! I'm sure you'll love SF regardless of which weather you find there.

Sep 17th, 1999, 11:58 AM
Mike

Hi Carolyn! My wife and I took a four day stopover in SF the first week in October last year. We had gorgous weather! Highs in the upper seventies near eighty the whole time and hardly any fog to speak of. Luckily we were on our way to Maui so we had shorts and the like with us. After being REPEATEDLY warned about how cold and foggy SF was going to be we would not have been prepared for what we found.I don't regret luging those heavy sweatshirts around but I'm glad we had shorts to put on. You best pack a bit of everything. And throw in a pair of shorts just in case! I'm sure you'll love SF regardless of which weather you find there.

Sep 18th, 1999, 10:31 AM
SFSally

October is the best month of the year in San Francisco or anywhere along the California Coast. However, follow the advice of dressing in layers. Last October was beautiful. Hopefully this year will be as nice.