San Francisco walking tour, public transport

Mar 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

San Francisco walking tour, public transport

My husband and I are planning a mid-May trip, with 4 days in Yosemite pre-crowds, an overnight in Santa Cruz, then 4 days in SF. Our time in SF will be spent on foot, and I'm looking for suggestions of a good walking tour book of the city -- small but detailed.

We've had some favorite books, depending on where we go. Moon books served us well in Mexico, Rick Steves was great in the Europe countryside, Insight was nice in big-city London and Paris. What's the best for SF?

We're freaks for architecture (Pacific Heights, etc) and I have a degree in sociology (Haight-Ahsbury, the Castro), so you can imagine what we're after. Yeah, we'll buzz by the Wharf and have ice cream with the sea lions just because we've never done SF, but for the most part we want the real deal.

I'm also wondering how to trim costs on public transport. Is there a multi-day pass that will give us unlimited cable car/bus/train rides? We're staying at The Cornell Hotel between Nob Hill and Union Square, and our only trek outside downtown will be the airport.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Yes, there are 3 days and longer passes on MUNI website.

Mar 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM

For walks I suggest (sorry Fodor's) "Frommer's Memorable Walks in San Francisco" or even the walks in their San Francisco guide book if you want something less comprehensive.

Even for only four day, a 1 week MUNI pass could be a good deal (valid for all streetcars, buses, and cable cars). The bus system is fantastic - we took it everywhere. I'd put it right up there with Paris's. Here's the info:

http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/mms/fares/fareinfo.htm

Mar 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Doesn't matter where you post, we can see it only as posted to the US forum.

FODOR's, those sections are confusing, can you hear me?

Search this Thread