Search

San Francisco to Seattle Road trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco to Seattle Road trip

Hi
Two of us, best friends, are going to San Francisco on September 1st 2016 and want to do a road trip for 12 days up to Seattle where my friend flies back to Britain and I head down to Los Angeles to pick up a motorbike trip. We want as much coast as possible. Any suggestions of what not to miss? Places to stay and what car hire to use as we have to drop off in Seattle? Should I get the train, bus or fly back from Seattle to Los Angeles?
We both love hiking, horse riding, views, wine and meeting people.

Thanks

Jo
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Would it work to fly to Seattle (or Portland) and spend 10 days going down the coast to San Francisco or maybe Monterey and then head north on I-5 to Seattle (or Portland)?
Take the Amtrak Coast Starlight south to Los Angeles if you don't want to fly out.
I prefer driving the coast southbound. Others will disagree.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a possible route: https://goo.gl/maps/UKqg5M7dyir

Start with the scenic Marin/Sonoma/Mendocino coast, then through the redwoods to the Oregon coast. Head inland from Newport to the Willamette Valley vineyard country around McMinnville, then up to Mount Hood.

Then down the beautiful Hood River Valley (more vineyards and wineries) to the Columbia River Gorge, then out to the northern Oregon coast, across the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia and up to the coastal section of Olympic National Park.

Visit the stunning rocky beaches and rain forest valleys on the Pacific coast, then around the top of the Olympic Peninsula to Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles, and finally cross Puget Sound on the ferry from Bainbridge Island that will land you in downtown Seattle.

Here's a list of potential overnight locations for eleven days. You could certainly edit this, for example, you could cut out the Mendocino night since you'll have plenty of rugged coastline ahead, and save a day by using US 101 north to the redwoods in lieu of the much slower CA Hwy 1. I've added a night in Hood River to allow for more leisurely exploration of the Columbia Gorge/Mount Hood area, which has so much going for it that it's silly. Or of course you could cut out the Olympic Peninsula altogether and use those days around Portland, Seattle or the Puget Sound area. Lots of options.

Day Night

1 Mendocino
2 Ferndale
3 Bandon
4 Yachats
5 McMinnville
6 Hood River
7 Hood River
8 Astoria
9 Forks
10 Port Angeles
11 Seattle

Note the Labor Day national holiday falls on Monday Sept. 5, and that weekend (2nd - 5th) is one of the most heavily traveled periods in the year, so booking accommodations for those nights is imperative.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 06:18 AM

Meant to add, car costs are going to be high unless you or your friend can book with one of the UK-based agencies that offers rentals without one-way fees or rates; really worth checking.

Fly from Seattle back to LA - two hours and a hundred bucks.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gardyloo has laid out a terrific itinerary -- definitely fly down to LA. The trains are not a great idea because the trip takes <i>forever</i>, can run VERY late, and passes through much of the best scenery in the middle of the night. The train will take 36 hours IF it runs to schedule -- but often doesn't.

Plus flying will be cheaper for sure.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Guys for your kind responses. Just looked up flights from Seattle to Los Angles and can get one for about fifty dollars! So will be doing that!

Any hotel/lodge recommendations in this places?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 05:42 AM

<i>Any hotel/lodge recommendations in this places?</i>

What sort of budget are you using? As I mentioned above, be careful around Labor Day weekend, and try to get your plan for the Oregon coast finalized, as accommodations can be limited in the more popular towns.

In Oregon have a look at various properties run by the McMenamin brothers - http://www.mcmenamins.com/ - for affordable and very fun lodgings and activities. I'd especially point to the Edgefield, on the edge of the Columbia Gorge (use it for my "Hood River" nights) which features umpteen bars, a brewery, distillery, vineyards and winery, a spa, movie theater, golf, and numerous restaurants. It's a unique and very fun place.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 09:25 AM

In Bandon you might look at the Windemere.

http://www.windermereonthebeach.com
It is the only one I know of directly on the beach. Have not stayed there recently so no opinion on the rooms.

I recently stayed at the Sunset. It's across the street from the beach- has obstructed ocean views.
In Bandon there is a famous golf course, the Bandon Dunes. I think the green fees are about $350 so out of my league- but there are hiking trails on the grounds. There is also lodging but I don't know any details about it. You can pick up a trail map at any of the pro shops. There are several restaurants so we did a little hiking followed by a nice lunch. There are actually 3 courses, each with own facilities, restaurants etc. with a trail connecting all. Spent a nice afternoon there.

In Yachats there are 3 motels in a row- the Adobe, the Fireside and the Overleaf. All ocean front. The Overleaf is most expensive, the Fireside the least. The Adobe has ocean view dining and a bar.
There is a trail so you can walk into town.

My fav stop on the coast is just north of Florence- Devils Elbow State Park also known as Heceta Head. Nice little cove with trail leading up to the most photographed lighthouse in the U.S. If you feel like doing more of a hike, there is a trail behind the lighthouse leading to a secluded beach only accesible by hiking in.
In Hood River, the Best Western is on the river and is nice.

Enjoy!