San Francisco: to rent or not to rent a car?

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco: to rent or not to rent a car?

Dear all,

My boyfriend and I are arriving in San Francisco from Vegas on March 5th at 4pm and leaving on March 7th early in the morning driving down the coast heading to Los Angeles. We had first planned to rent a car at the airport and staying somewhere in Downtown/ Wharf area. Then I realized that hotels in the area charge up to $ 25/ day + tax for paking. A good friend has just returned from SF and also warned us about parking in the streets near touristic areas ( hard to find and expensive).

Having this in mind I came up with 2 options

1) Not renting a car at the airport and staying in downtown using only public transportation. We would like to visit city's major attractions such a Alcatraz, Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate, Sausalito,etc. If this is the case I would shorten our stay to 1 night only since we would prefer to rent the car Saturday evening and spend the night in San Jos or Santa Cruz. Renting the car Sunday morning would delay our itinerary.

Issues: Is it possible to do all the above attractions using public transportation in one day? Main concerns are Golden Gate and Sausalito.

The only Avis ( we have a very good deal at Avis since we are flying Continental ( I guess they are partners) from home land - Brazil) store open Saturday evening is the Airport one which means we would have to get a shuttle or something to go there- not a big concern though.

2) Renting a car at the airport and staying at the aiport aerea ( Hollyday Inn offers free parking for example).

Issues: Staying 30 minutes away from downtown area.
Expensive parking price at touristic places.

Grateful if anyone could help us out with advice/suggetions.

Thank you very much!

Helena
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
J62

Avis city city offices are open on Sunday.

Union Sq opens at 6am Sunday.
Fisherman's Wharf opens at 8am Sunday.

Yes, it is humanly possible to do all the attraction you list on one day, Saturday March 6. Remotely. Squeezing in Alcatraz is the biggest problem.

I rent in SF city a lot and find that Dollar rental car often has by far the best rates. www.dollar.com

Dollar offices open at 7 or 7:30am Sunday.

If getting a car at 6am delays your itinerary then you could always take public transportation back to SFO Saturday night and head south from there.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM

I don't think you can see all those places (plus a few more, I assume) and enjoy them in 1 day - unless you move at a very rapid pace.

Not sure what you mean by "Golden Gate". By itself, that refers to the entrance (mouth) to the Bay from the Pacific Ocean. Or it could (probably in your case) refer to the Golden Gate Bridge. Or perhaps Golden Gate Park.

I think a good option "3", if you want to explore the bridge and Sausalito, is to rent a car at the airport and stay someplace along "Motel Row" on Lombard street. This will give you free parking and very quick access to the GG bridge and Sausalito.

Do NOT stay at an airport area hotel.

There are much better places (IMO) to visit in the City than Fisherman's Wharf. Personally, I would also forgo Alcatraz if you'll only be here for 1 day.

If you drive across the GG bridge, make sure one of your trips (out or back) is in the later afternoon. That way the sun will be in a perfect position to shine on the downtown skyline. ALSO, in the following thread, find the "scenic" drive up to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area just north of the GG Bridge & to the west. This is perhaps the best view in the Bay Area.

My recommendations:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM

You don't need a car for SF. If anything, it's hindrance. If you take the BART back to the airport it will be much easier to get a car there. Even if you take a cab to the airport you'll be coming out ahead of the cost of parking.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM

You can have a wonderful day in San Francisco without a car if you forget about going to Sausalito, are satisfied with seeing the Golden Gate Bridge from your boat on the way to Alcatraz and set aside several hours to explore this great city on foot.

I would definitely stay in the city--not by the airport. City-loving travelers tend to prefer hotels in or near Union Square and there are also many hotels at Fisherman Wharf.

PS: I have taken the standard harbor tour several times, and I enjoyed it again a few months ago when I paid very close attention to the narration. It sails under the Golden Gate Bridge, encircles Alcatraz Island, and describes communities around the Bay. Pelicans have returned to the Bay, and it was fun to watch them in flight.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Are you planning to return the car to the same place that you are picking it up?

If not, please be forwarned that the car rental company can charge quite a bit of money for a one-way rental, i.e., picking up in one city and dropping off in another city. Sometimes these "drop off" fees can be hundreds of dollars.

I mention this because you seem to be concerned about the parking fees in San Francisco.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM

>>you'll be coming out ahead of the cost of parking.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM

easy - if the OP is driving down the coast to LA, I don't see a practical means to avoid a drop-off charge if all rental companies charge a drop-off.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Stu: I just wanted to point it out to them, since they seemed concerned about a $25/up parking fee, but didn't mention the hundreds of dollars of a drop off fee.

I'm wondering what kind of quote they got. Sometimes the drop-off fee is not automatically quoted, but a sentence like "There may be drop off fees" will be in the quote.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM

There is a ferry that goes to Sausalito.

From downtown, the 38 Geary bus to Park Presidio and then the 28 bus going north will take you to the south entrance of the Golden Gate Bridge.

If these are the only two areas of interest outside the city proper, I would pick up the car at the end of your stay in SF. And I would not pick it up at the airport; I understand that there is a stiff fee for airport pick-ups.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Guys,

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies.

I am aware of the drop off fee charged by AVIS ( we are returning the car at LAX). As I said before we got a very good deal: $390 for a Pontiac or similar- 10 day rental + insurance + all taxes included. I dont think this can get any better ( I have quoted Dollar, Alamo, Hertz, etc).

I guess we are sticking with StuDudley ( thanks!) suggestion. I have checked motels on Lombard street and found good deals with free parking. According to the Web Site there is public transportation across the street which gives us the option of using it whenever convenient and using the car for Sausalito ,Golden Gate Park,etc.

I appreciate all your help on this.

Cheers,

Helena
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Try to get as close to Van Ness on Lombard as possilbe (but still stay west of Franklin) if you plan to walk to the Wharf, squiggly section of Lombard, and catch cable cars. If you don't plan on walking to these areas, but want to join the evening "scene" on Union St, Fillmore St, or Chestnut St (see my earlier link) - then mid-Lombard between Franklin & Divisadero is fine. Near Fillmore is perfect.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM

You'll be driving into the City on a Friday "get-away day" at rush hour. Here is the best way to get to Lombard st to avoid as much traffic as possible, and also this route is quite scenic.

Take 101 towards the City (SF). Then take 280 towards "downtown" - not Daly City. On 280, take it till it ends on Martin Luther King Drive & keep going straight on M.L. King. Once on surface streets (M.L. King), work your way to the right most lane. Soon you will pass AT&T park - home of the SF Giants baseball team - where one of your neighbors from Venezuela - Pablo "Panda" Sandoval presides (probably the most popular non-pitcher Giant). Keep going straight and M.L. King will become Embarcadero as it bends to the left. You'll be driving along the waterfront now. Pass under the Bay Bridge, and soon you'll pass the Ferry Building on your right and the downtwon Financial District on your left - at the foot of Market St. The "flat" buildings on your left is the Embarcadero Center. Soon, you see Coit Tower on your left. After awhile, you'll see the touristy Pier 39 and then enter the Fisherman's Wharf area. As you pass through Fisherman's Wharf, look around & decide if you want to return for a more thorough visit later. You'll also pass The Cannery on your left and then dead-end on Hyde St. Turn left on Hyde and you'll spot the Cable Car turnaround and Buena Vista cafe (Irish Coffee?). Take the first right (Beach St) and you'll pass Ghirardelli Square. Just past Ghirardelli, turn left on Polk (heading away from the bay) and go a few blocks to Lombard & turn right on Lombard. Cross Van Ness (big street) and Lombard will become wider - look for your hotel.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Stu, hope you don't mind it I clarify your directions....

>>

I drive this way to work every single day. The street on which you exit the freeway is King Street, not "Martin Luther King Drive". Also, after you take 280 towards "Downtown", you stay on 280 and exit at 4th St. (the last two exits are 6th Street to the right and 4th Street to the left, take 4th Street). When you get to the bottom of the exit, you will be ON King Street, which as Stu said, becomes the Embarcadero a little ways up.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM

I highly recommend the Pacific Heights Inn http://www.pacificheightsinn.com/

My daughter and husband live on Chestnut St so we stay there when we visit them in SF. (no room for guests in their apt) When they got married a lot of the guests stayed there as well and loved it. Excellent area just a block off Van Ness and Lombard. There are dozens of good restaurants within walking distance as well as shops etc. Easy walking to the Fishermans Wharf and Fort Mason. Great accommodation at a very reasonable price. Free parking too.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all once again!I will definitely print out this page and take it with us.

Helena
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:22 AM

HelenaBr, I have to "correct my correction" (which was partially misleading, too). It's not 6th Street or 4th Street (that's what it used to be before the 1989 earthquake), it's 6th Street to the right and "King St./Embarcadero" to the left -- that's the one you take and it feeds right into King Street, which then becomes the Embarcadero. Sorry if I confused you.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Columbus Motor Inn...Chelsea Motor Inn....Buena Vista Motor Inn....

Car rental companies usually don't charge one-way drop fees to non-citizens, it's only the natives who are gouged.

$390 sounds a little high for 10 days since rates are back down this year so keep checking as "deals" usually pop up 30 days before travel. Make sure the Avis rate includes liability insurance as they have been including only collision on some quotes lately and then reaming you with the liability cost at the counter.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM

Do you have printed confirmation from Avis stating that your collision coverage and liability insurance is INCLUDED?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes!