Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco to LA on I-5 -- midway lodging options??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is the classic dilema, but we are doing the holiday drive this year from SF to Burbank and would love to break up the drive by stopping somewhere into the drive. Aside from Harris Ranch, I can't find anything of any interest at all (there is a B & B in Coalinga but they are only open on the weekends). Just lots of chain motels right off the freeway.

Has anyone found something more interesting (and quiet)?? My fantasy is some small town with a hotel, but don't see much!
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Not on I-5. I-5 exists for cars traveling fast without stopping
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Ugh. We are taking the scenic ride up 101 on the way home, but was really hoping to be spared the I-5, truck stop, Motel 6 (or whatever) style overnight stop.

OK, if that is true (which undoubtedly it is), any suggestions for a decently quiet chain motel along the way?? Surely some of them must be better than others and I have not driven this in years. Usually fly, which is its own nightmare these days
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM

This is a 6 hour drive. So, you want to stop for the night after driving 3 hours? If you are getting a late start, it makes sense but if you have the whole day, just take a long lunch break and split the drive into two 3 hour stints. Otherwise, you aren't going to find anything better than Harris Ranch.

If you want to take 2 days to do the drive, then I would take 101 both ways. You may have to anyway if the tule fog is bad.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Drive the route often and know of nothing other than Harris Ranch the isn't one of the chains. But on 101 there are tons of options....Paso Robles Inn, Garden Stree Inn or La Cuesta Inn in San Luis Obispo/, Santa Barbara Inn & many other options in SB. Or, if you make a detour at Paso Robles to Highway 1, Inn at Morro Bay, Blue Whale Inn B&B in Cambria....also many AAA 3 Diamond places i
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no good place to stay because there is no good place/reason to stop.

It is a fast drive and I really don't see a reason to stop over anywhere. Even if you left after 6 PM you'd be over the Grapevine well before midnight, and probably in your own driveway by then.

AND the fog mentioned above -- if it is bad you don't want to be anywhere near I-5. So -- if it is clear, drive straight through. If there is tule fog, take 2 days and drive down the coast or 101
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We are coming BACK on 101 and have planned a more leisurely trip with stops in Ojai and Paso Robles etc. For the trip down we wanted to leave in the late afternoon, drive half way so we can start out Thursday morning not needing to work around morning rush hour traffic in the Bay Area. The idea of landing at my 85 year old mother-in-law's at midnight after a full Wednesday and a 6 hour drive makes a Motel 6 on I-5 look fine for a decent sleep. I think I will need well rested start into 5 days of holidays with the relatives
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of options other than Harris Ranch, a Motel 6 in Lost Hills (where the number 1 restaurant is the local Jack in the Box), or finding a spot among the prison population at Avenal. Well, it would respond to the "interesting" part of your query!

Since it sounds like you'll be trekking in the later part of December, and what with the crazy weather we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised if the I-5 around the Grapevine wasn't sporadically closed during this period of time.

If it were me, and I was going to make a half-way stop, I would simply take the 101 both ways, since there's not a huge time difference, but there is a huge difference in the availability of nice/interesting rest stops. And the weather should be a little better, making it an easier drive. I would much rather get a little tense driving the route inland between SLO and the Solvang cut-off than seriously tense going over the grapevine in bad weather.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Drive 3 hours on 101 and stay in SLO and then drive another 3 to bay area. highway 5 can be a nightmare in the winter and 101 is only an hour more from LA to Bay Area.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife and I spent a quiet night in a private room in the HI Hostel in Monterey last spring. Went over to Salinas and then south to Paso Robles and east to 99 on our way to Bakersfield.
If we ever go to Monterey again, we'll stay there.
What we love about hostels: You can cook the food you bring and the price is fair.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

All good advice. I think we will see what the weather looks like and plan on figuring out what works best. Happy to know that I have not been missing something on I-5; nice to know what the limited options are!
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM

My advice differs somewhat from what you've received so far. For your trip south, take CA 99 instead of I-5 and stop overnight in Fresno. It's a little over 3 hours to Fresno. Plenty of hotels and restaurants there. (36 hotels listed in the AAA tour book). Then the next day to Burbank for a total driving time of 6:41 hrs.

Maintain your relaxed attitude about the weather. If snow conditions warrant traffic restrictions on the "grapevine", which is seldom, they are likely to be brief because this is a major north-south commercial artery, and therefore a substantial effort is always mounted to get traffic moving.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM

I'd disagree . . . If it is foggy -- then hwy 99 will be as bad or worse than I-5. And 99 is a tougher drive going through all the towns w/ local traffic.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM

I've been on 99 in winter when you couldn't see anything higher than the bottom of the driver-side window. Petrifying.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM

My shoulders get tight just thinking about driving on 99 in the fog. It can be awful.

I'd go Hwy 101 if you are overnighting mid-way, I-5 if you can push straight through.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM

We've stayed at Harris Ranch. It's really quite the oasis. Once inside the walls that surround the pool area you'd never know you are in what my kids refer to as "the middle of nowhere."

Last time we headed south we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Santa Clarita/Valencia (28508 Westinghouse Place, Valencia, CA). It was great to have a place to spend the night without disturbing our eventual hosts. The next morning after a great breakfast we made the short and pleasent drive to our destination.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Suzie has a good idea. If you really want to take I-5, press on all the way across the Grapevine and stay in Valencia. Then you can sleep in and get to Grandma's any old time . . . .
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Every time we pass the Harris Ranch we have to remind ourselves that, beforehand, we turn on the recirculation.

That said, doesn't it kind of smell at the Harris Ranch, depending on which way the wind is blowing?!

I have to admit that I become a vegetarian every time I pass that place.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM

That said, doesn't it kind of smell at the Harris Ranch, depending on which way the wind is blowing?!

Outside yes, but inside (in the restaurant) was not a problem.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM

It did not smell at the hotel when we were there. I was really surprised at how nice it was. Of course I had no expectations. It really is in the middle of nowhere and it can be really hot in the summer. But it is a nice hotel.

The pic of the pool on the opening page of the Inn is accurate. Have you done any of the virtual tours?

http://harrisranch.com/stay_roomtours.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -