Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco to L.A via Pacific Coast Highway, highway 1 and yosemite please help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-to-l-a-via-pacific-coast-highway-highway-1-and-yosemite-please-help-396205/)

parin Feb 6th, 2004 07:21 PM

San Francisco to L.A via Pacific Coast Highway, highway 1 and yosemite please help!

I just posted this, but i am not sure if it went through. I apologize if it occurs twice...

My wife and I are flying into S.F on April 16. We have been to S.F before and want to venuture to other parts of Cali. I have made a quick itinerary and would like some feed back.

1) Drive from S.F to Yosemite the next day (april 17th), and stay 2 nights in Yosemite.
2) Drive from Yosemite to Carmel, and stay 2 nights in Carmel.
3) Drive from Carmel to Santa Barbara, stopping over at the Hearst Castle, and spending 1 night in S.B.
4) Driving from Santa Barbara to L.A.

what do you think?
Is it better to stay in Cambria instead of staying in Santa Barbara?
Is 2 nights at Yosemite too much? obviously, nothing is too much, but i am on a schedule...

thanks

Patrick Feb 6th, 2004 07:58 PM

I think it would be pointless to go to Yosemite for less than two nights. You need a full day just to absorb a little of the beauty there.
I'd work on the schedule of a visit to the Hearst castle and push on afterwards to Santa Barbara for the night. To me there's nothing at Cambria, just a place with a lot of motels to spend the night.

DuckFaceMcJones Feb 6th, 2004 08:37 PM

In reference to the Pacific Coast Highway leg of your journey:

As you are no doubt aware, Highway 1 is a spectacular drive. Take your time and do not rush it. I suggest packing a lunch and stopping at an overlook to eat it. The possibility of road construction may also be a factor you might wish to consider.

Hearst Castle is definitely worth a look, but just how interested are you in seeing it in depth? There are five different tours listed on the official web site, and each of them offers something a little different. You may want to take more than one.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/tours/

Perhaps San Luis Obispo might be a lodging compromise between Cambria and Santa Barbara.

Have a great trip.

Patrick Feb 7th, 2004 06:13 AM

Feel like a laugh? Spend the night at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, with all differently decorated theme rooms. The food in the restaurant isn't bad, and you'll have a hoot laughing at the over the top decor, sort of a bad imitation of a 1950's Las Vegas supper club.

easytraveler Feb 7th, 2004 08:51 AM

The Madonna Inn! Patrick, what an inspired thought! LOL! Even if you don't stay there, try eating in their restaurant. If you do want to stay there, make reservations early.

Depending on your budget and if you are going to stop in San Luis Obispo, there is also the La Cuesta Inn at the other end of town. Quiet little place, kind of "boutique". Very clean. They have the best local apples (free) when in season. These come from trees at least 100 years old.

If you drive the PCH, stop off at La Purisma Mission. Of the 21 missions in California, there are only two that belong to the State, the other 19 remain in the hands of the Catholic Church and many remain functional churches rather than museums. La Purisma is one of the two State-owned missions and has been wonderfully restored as a historic mission. These missions are a very important part of adding to the flavor and understanding of California.

Working northward: when you leave Carmel and start down Highway 1, stop off for lunch at Nepenthe ("No Sorrow"), for the gorgeous views. Slightly south of Nepenthe is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. April would be a great month to see McVey Falls as it cascades into the Pacific Ocean.

Drive carefully! The stretch of road south of Carmel to slightly north of Cambria is very winding and you'll be on the ocean side going south! Enjoy the spectacular views! Very few places in the world have such glorious views, IMHO!

Have a great trip!

kimamom Feb 7th, 2004 09:56 AM

Definitely explore Cambria. Even if you don't spend the night there, stop and walk Moonstone Beach and have lunch at the Moonstone Bar & Grill. The fish tacos are excellent. Sit at "the rail" and take in the spectacular scenery.

Stroll the shops of Cambria and stop in at Linn's Bakery and take a peek. Excellent ollalieberry products and the chicken pot pies are the best in the world!

Have dinner at the Sow's Ear Cafe. The salmon in parchment paper and the chicken fried steak are the house specialites. You will be treated very well here.

If you decide to spend the night, The Blue Whale and the Cypress Cove Inn are both very nice, located right across the street from Moonstone Beach. Stop in Cambria! It's a delightful place. You will want to return again and again.

If you like afternoon tea, try the Tea Cozy in Cambria. They serve delicious sandwiches and all kinds of teas. Very intimate, quaint place to have afternoon tea and scones. Have fun!! ***kim*** :)