San Francisco to Eugene, Oregon

Jun 19th, 1997, 11:25 AM
Tracey Smith

San Francisco to Eugene, Oregon

My husband and I are heading to the west coast for the first two weeks in August. We would like to fly into San Francisco, stay for a few days, then rent a car and drive through northern California on our way to Eugene. Any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, and things to do would be appreciated.
We are also interested in winery tours that we'd be able to find on our way north. Thanks!

Jun 20th, 1997, 04:37 PM
petrice

There are really two ways to travel North from SF to Oregon - up 101 (more coastal) or Highway 5. Highway 5 is MUCH faster, but not really scenic until you get up to Lake Shasta and North. Highway 101 is much prettier. One idea would be to take 101 North to Cloverdale and then take Highway 128 to the coast. This takes you through the Anderson Valley and there are several great wineries to stop at (check out Navarro - it's great!) Then you could get to Highway 1 and travel north to Mendocino which is a great little town, and then eventually weave your way back to 101. This will take you longer than the Highway 5 route, but is defintely worth it. The Redwood trees off of 101 up near Eureka are breathtaking.

Jun 22nd, 1997, 10:03 AM
andrea shelton

The Oregon coast is my absolute favorite in the US. It is fabulous! Clean and breathtaking. I agree to stop at the Redwood Nat'l Park in CA. We stopped at Gold Beach for the mail jet boat ride up the Rogue River. If you like scenery and learning about the flora and fauna you will like this. San Dunes around Florence are very interesting. One of the highlights was a stay at the Adobe Inn in Yachats (very slightly north of Eugene. The beach and tidal pools out the back door of the adobe were wonderful. Good restaurant too. If you have time Crater Lake was terrific.

Andrea

Jun 25th, 1997, 01:05 AM
Steven

How long do you have to make this drive from SF to Eugene? What the previous two people recommended would take a LONG time! Yes, it's a nice trip but way out of your way if your driving SF to Eugene. It would add days to your trip (longer if you viewed the area as you should). If you have 5 days or less I-5 is the only way to go. Mount Shasta is wonderful and a great place to stop and hike or have a breathtaking picnic on. The Castle Craig mountains are also right off I-5 and great hiking. Ashland is a wonderful little town with a great Shakespearen theatres and tons of other features and its right off I-5. Near Eugene there is the beautiful McKenzie river area to explore. Ashland also has some good wineries.

Search this Thread