Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco temps - variable? You bet! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-temps-variable-you-bet-785433/)

sf7307 May 19th, 2009 12:55 PM

San Francisco temps - variable? You bet!

To the many people who ask about the weather in San Francisco, we who live here always post that its "unpredictable", and "variable". So I thought I'd point out that on Friday of last week, the high in San Francisco was 64°, on Saturday it was 89°; on Sunday, it was 93°, and Monday it was back to 66°!

kiwi_rob May 19th, 2009 01:05 PM

Snap!
I have just made a similar post on the Australia/New Zealand board regarding the weather here in Christchurch!
Rob.

sf7307 May 19th, 2009 01:06 PM

I'll have to check it out - is the weather there similarly "changeable"?

yk May 19th, 2009 01:14 PM

It's still better than here in MA.

Last night, we had a frost warning - yes, FROST for May 18!

Right now, it's 72F

Forecast for Thursday May 21, is 85-90F

One minute I'm wearing sweaters and fleece (and my wicked good slippers), the next minute I'm in T shirt and flip flops.

kiwi_rob May 19th, 2009 01:29 PM

Yes, sf7307, "changeable" is a fair description. Sometimes, we can get a reasonable prediction of settled weather for 3 or 4 days ahead, but then another front sweeps in across the Tasman Sea and resets the forecast.

StuDudley May 19th, 2009 02:04 PM

On Sunday my wife conducted her SFCityGuides tour of "Victorian San Francisco". The tour was in the Pacific Heights neighborhood. Then it started at 2pm, the temps were around 90 (as SF7307 stated). Another Fodorite from Wash DC who is very active on the Europe forums, was visiting SF & we invited her to the tour and then dinner after in the Noe Valley. I did a "Stu's special" car/view tour between the City Guides walk & dinner. First stop was Fort Point around 4:15pm. It was freezing & windy - temps must have been in the mid 60s at that time, but it seemed colder with the wind. The Wash DC person was the only one who brought a jacket. We could see the fog rolling in when we went to the GGNRA lookout at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge. It was quite chilly at 7:30 when we arrived at Firefly for dinner.

So ...90 to mid 60s in a matter of 3 hours.

Stu Dudley

Centralparkgirl May 19th, 2009 02:33 PM

Listen guys, I'm giving you enough notice. I want you to arrange for beautiful, clear weather when I visit in September. You're so helpful with restaurant suggestions, etc. that I'm sure you'll help me out!

tchoiniere May 19th, 2009 02:34 PM

All you have to do is fly me out there. I have been to SF 3 times in the past 4 years for weekends and never had anything but 80+ degree temps and sun. The second I leave, its back to normal...

yk May 19th, 2009 02:37 PM

Sounds like the weather in SF will be pretty nice for this weekend though!

Centralparkgirl May 19th, 2009 02:41 PM

tchoiniere - you're on!

yk - worrying about weather in RI for ds's graduation this weekend. Maybe we should move it to SF.

yk May 19th, 2009 02:59 PM

I think it's going to be fairly nice this weekend here! Have fun at the commencement, CPG. (And IF - a big IF - you have time, go check out the RISD Art Museum. We were there last weekend for the first time, and hmm... quite an unusual hodgepodge collection but we enjoyed it thoroughly!)

Dayenu May 20th, 2009 01:50 PM

Central, your request is noted and a written reply will be send to your house. Post your address, phone number, date of birth, and your mother's maiden name on this thread for verification purposes.

((6))

starrs May 20th, 2009 01:57 PM

I heard on a tour that SF had about 109 of the 11something possible microclimes. I knew the weather could be variable within the area, but NEVER expected the HOT (very hot) weather in April. I packed "layers" but had a hard time finding 3 tops that I could wear while I was out there. The shoes did me in :-)

Now, be sure to order the "right" weather for cpg's trip!

PamSF May 20th, 2009 02:01 PM

Those mighty hot days here in the SF Bay Area yielded several more blossoms on the tomatoes!! I went to AT&T Park on Sunday expecting to bake. It was Loverly with the exception of the Mets losing:((

sf7307 May 20th, 2009 02:18 PM

<i>Those mighty hot days here in the SF Bay Area yielded several more blossoms on the tomatoes!! I went to AT&T Park on Sunday expecting to bake. It was Loverly with the exception of the Mets losing</i>

Pam, I was there Saturday - we should have switched days (I hated being surrounded by so many Mets fans, and I grew up on Long Island!!)

PamSF May 20th, 2009 03:33 PM

sf7~the 8 yo in our group had a meltdown because the folks all around her were so rooting for the Giants! I'm a Jersey girl and dressed in orange and blue for the day. I wish I'd been there for a win on Saturday. BTW~ the Hebrew National Dogs were a big disappointment. They don't taste like they do coming off the carts in NYC.

sf7307 May 20th, 2009 06:13 PM

Pam, the best hot dogs at AT&T are the Evergood Sausages - yummmmm.

Centralparkgirl May 20th, 2009 06:34 PM

yk - I've actually been to the RISD museum twice, but unfortunately missed the Chihuly exhibit last fall. It's an interesting museum.

Dayenu - will do. You want my social and blood type too, right?

Supercilious May 21st, 2009 06:43 PM

While it may have been 93 in downtown San Francisco on Sunday, it was much cooler at the beaches. The ocean is 49 degrees right now and an almost fool-proof air conditioner. By the way, it never got above 53 degrees at the Point Reyes lighthouse that day.

StuDudley May 23rd, 2009 09:30 AM

>>Sounds like the weather in SF will be pretty nice for this weekend though!<<

Nope - pretty gloomy. Drizzle on the windshield a few minutes ago.

Stu Dudley