Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco: Stay closer to the Embarcadero or Union Square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Looking for some San Francisco advice...my wife and I will be staying for 4 nights in July...we are currently booked at the Orchard Hotel near Union Square. We booked there because we thought it was be nice and central, close to shopping, and walking distance to restaurants in the evening.
I have recently been reading, however, about the Embarcadero area, specifically the Hotel Vitale. Given the fact that my wife and I are runners (seems like there are running routes by the water here?), and there seem to be some great restaurants close by, like the Slanted Door, and the Ferry Building with its market (we could perhaps have breakfasts here each morning?), and decent proximity to Union Square (half hour walk perhaps?), we are beginning to consider staying in this area instead.
My question is...are my instincts correct based on my above thoughts? Would this be an area for us to stay in that would meet our needs and more? Or have I made some incorrect assumptions? I have been wrong many times before!
thanks in advance for your help everyone as always!
cheers,
CC
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
dmlove

You will LOVE staying down on the Embarcadero. I wouldn't exactly call them "running routes", but you can (and many do) run on the sidewalk next to the water -- about 1-1/4 to AT&T Park in one direction, and to Fisherman's Wharf area in the other direction (also several miles). The Vitale is a nice newer hotel - get a room with a bay view if you can. There are many good bars and restaurants within several blocks (the bar in the Vitale is always busy, even in winter, and its outdoors).

BTW, I think Union Square would be a good choice too, but based on your description of yourselves and what you want to do, I think staying on the Embarcadero is an excellent decision.

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM

I recently posted about the Vitale. We stayed there last year and found it a great location. And it's an especially good launching pad for running along the water.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM

>>about 1-1/4 to AT&T Park in one direction, and to Fisherman's Wharf area in the other direction (also several miles).<<

Go past the Wharf & all the way to Fort Point & back. This is a fabulous run. Much of it will be along Crissy field - no cars and fantastic views. It's incredible. We were there yesterday, ant LOTS of people were jogging along this path. 20 years ago my wife did this route 2-3 times a week training for a marathon.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far everyone....and the running route ideas! I looked at the Hotel Vitale website..took their virtual tour of the area from their rooftop...and it looked kind of quiet..with not too much around. More office space than anything else....is my perception correct? Still trying to decide....the responses made me think Yes, but the virtual tour is leaning me towards no...would love some further feedback about the Embarcadero area if anyone could offer it...
thanks as always!
CC
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

topping one last time for the Monday crowd
CC

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM

The Vitale is right down the street from where I am sitting now. It is a quieter location at night than anything in and around Union Square. Might be a good thing. You would be steps aways from some good restaurants (Boulevard, Ozumo, Chaya) and a short cab ride from any of the South of Market restaurants. There are several bus lines which turn around at the foot of Market Street, near the Vitale, and also the Embarcadero Muni/BART station is just a block away. I mention the transportation to show how easily connected to the rest of the city you would be even if you are down near the Vitale.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
tpl

I agree with the other posters -- stay at the Vitale, especially since you like to run. The restaurants in the neighborhood are great (I also recommend Kokkari for upscale Greek), and you can get to anyplace in the city from there.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I'm another fan of Hotel Vitale. That was a great location by the water and even better for the Ferry Building and what it has to offer. We saw runners and walkers around the area as well so that should suit your need for running. If you choose Vitale, ask for a room with a bridge view. Also, there is an outdoor terrace (on the 5th floor I believe) where you can enjoy the view of the water and have a little wine and cheese you picked up from the ferry building.

After walking around Union Square we were so glad we did not choose it for lodging -- too busy for us. Boulevard and Slanted Door were a couple of our favorite restaurants as well. And if you can't get a table reservation at the Slanted Door just belly up to the bar for great service and the same spicy, fresh food.

BeachGirl

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, as always! I'm going to give the Vitale a call tomorrow!
cheers,
CC