Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-shopping-469462/)

edgar319 Aug 24th, 2004 02:55 AM

San Francisco Shopping

Hello Any tips on the best shopping in San Francisco We are from Australia will be there for 4 days in October thanks cheers

lvitaly Aug 24th, 2004 06:59 AM

Union Square!!!! The Nordstom's store is wonderful with a really nice restaurant and bar. Inside that building is plenty of other upscale stores. Just up the street is a huge Macy's dept. store.If you are looking for a lot of shopping in one area that would be the place to go.

E Aug 24th, 2004 08:14 AM

Of course, it all depends on what kind of stuff you're shopping for...Union Square is great for all the best chain boutiques and dept. stores--there's a big NikeTown there. I love shopping in Chinatown--NOT for electronics, though!--for unusual foods, spices, kitchen tools, and inexpensive Asian accessories, toys, and clothes. SF also seems to have a good bookstore on every corner; City Lights is a must-stop if you're at all into Beat history. Enjoy!

bowmangayl Aug 24th, 2004 08:16 AM

Nordstrom's (and other fine shops)is actually in San Francisco Shopping Mall on Market Street, probably 4 blocks from Union Square. Macy's and others are literally on Union Square, and the walk from there to Market Street will take you past several other stores of various size and reputation. Enjoy your visit. I love visiting San Francisco!

djkbooks Aug 24th, 2004 08:33 AM

The San Francisco Center is worth a visit not only for Nordstrom's but also those escalators!

sfbayarea Sep 1st, 2004 03:44 PM

If you want more boutiquish shops head to Union Street (Different from Union Square). There are a ton of cute stores there and this area is between Filmore and Franklin. I like this area more than Union Square. There's also really good restaurants in this area too. Good luck!

Sarah Sep 1st, 2004 04:24 PM

Best part of a long weekend I took in May, farmers market at the ferry house on Saturday. Go early, have breakfast at the mexican gourmet booth. Sounds crummy but I saw it on the food network when I came home. Tyler Florence (chef, national food show host) called it the best breakfast in San Francisco. Gourmet mexican so it will be interesting. Not the heavy cheese drenched fare you associate with mexican and not with breakfast. You are right on the water here so the view is great. Don't worry about not knowing the name you will see a long line but don't worry it moves fast.

After breakfast you can walk around and inside and outside for food, wine and kitchen items. Have to try the fruit. I tried some organic peaches (a lot of the vendors tell you the gourmet restaurants they sell too) anywho I let out an an "oh my god". Came home and talked with my brother in law about it. He grew up on a 700 acre peach farm. He told me California was famous in the industry for its peaches but they don't travel well. TRY THEM WHILE YOU ARE THERE. BETTER THAN CANDY OR ICE CREAM.

martytravels Sep 1st, 2004 06:33 PM

If you're into CDs (or vinyl or music period), make sure you drop in at Amoeba in Haight Ashbury. It's a music fan's nirvana.

snorkelcat Sep 1st, 2004 06:47 PM

I second the suggestion about shopping in Chinatown - as a matter of fact, you may want to take the Wok Wiz walking tour of Chinatown - it is very interesting and includes a nice dim sum lunch. Chinatown is the best place for inexpensive gifts as well as very unique gifts. I could wander the allys all day there.

City Lights is a great bookstore.

I really like walking Filmore or Chestnut street for boutiques. And for a really interesting store, try the museum store for the San Francisco Museum of Art - lots of interesting stuff for kids, intersting housewares, games and unique gifts. They even have a SF fog dome!

enjoylife Sep 1st, 2004 06:56 PM

Check out the Ross in Union Square also.
It carries a lot of name brands at discount prices.