San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't been to Fisherman's Wharf in a while but my wife was attending a seminar at a nearby hotel last month so the kids and I hung around the Wharf, killing some time. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the sites, the talent, the food, and the great atmosphere. It may be bit more touristy than some of the other neighborhoods in The City but it didn’t feel too congested. We wound up taking a trip over to Alcatraz and did one of those tape-recorder tours. Again, a touristy thing to do but hey tourists just seek out the most interesting and well-known attractions in a city, right? Oh, and if you go, don’t forget to check out the barking Sea-lions lounging about off Pier 39. Totally ntertaining AND free. We absolutely loved all the seafood available including an excellent seafood restaurant called Scoma’s. Highly recommended! There’s a great arcade on Pier 39 that the kid’s loved –couldn’t get them to leave -- and a merry-go-round nearby. Some really cool museums, delicious clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls…this place has it all!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
SAB

Maybe I'm too suspicious--but a first time poster just to extoll the virtues of the Wharf.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I'm so glad you liked it, SteveGar1! I always take visitors there, for all the reasons you listed; Alcatraz is a must-do, IMO. It may not be an area locals hang out in, but it's lots of fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM

SAB, what are you on about? Are you implying this first-time poster has an ulterior motive, name it: he is evil and wants to lure unsuspecting tourists into a trap; or he somehow has a financial interest in an entire area and is shilling for it? What???

I understand suspecting the motives of someone who extols or trashes a specific business, but an area? You've gone mental.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Suspicious of what? I don't see an attempt to advertise anything here, unless you suspect SteveGar OWNS Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Funny, I was just checking to see if anyone had some advice/insight about The Wharf... not quite sure what this "suspicion" is all about but personally I appreciate the write up. Going to check out the wharf, alcatraz, etc. for sure when I'm there in a few weeks. so..Thanks Steve!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM

I get what SAB is on about.

But you just go on and enjoy that delicious clam chowder in the sourdough bowls. Yup.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM

And the Ripley's "Believe or Not" museum, and the Wax Museum (last time I passed by they had a Britany Spears wax figure outside) and the McDos, and the Hooters, and the T-shirt shops, and the cheap luggage stores, and the trinket shops.

Fun, fun, fun.....

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM

SteveGar1, I agree with you that Fisherman's Wharf is fun ... It's not the main reason I'd go back to SF, but we enjoyed our time there, the clam chowder and the barking sea lions. There isn't a SF neighborhood we visited that I didn't like something about.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM

SteveGar1 ....Dudley does not approve of having fun at the Wharf.

So, I guess you made a mistake by having fun there.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM

It's not my kind of fun....it is obviously his kind of fun. We may disagree on music, art, politics, and religion also.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I think the wharf is fun. I don't think that anyone is missing anything in particular if the don't go there, but I always enjoyed it. When I lived in Marin, my husband and I, on a nice day, would often go into the wharf on a Sunday and just "mess around", or if not that, then Golden Gate Park.

Having said that, if someone asked me if it was a MUST do, I'd say no, especially if they had limited time in the City.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM

I agree with you Steve--I too think Fisherman's Wharf is fun. Sure it might be "touristy" but still, it's fun (and you can get free samples of chocolate at Ghirardelli's Chocolates)
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Sigh!

Never has one area generated so much controversy!

I can think of at least a half dozen things that i like to do at Fisherman's Wharf and its environs.

FW isn't JUST the tacky shops and the Bushman. LOL!

Hi, artlover! Greetings from Bangkok!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:36 AM

"Never has one area generated so much controversy!"

Oh no? Guess you've never read all the posts anti or pro Times Square in New York City? Much the same type of argument, particularly between visitors and locals.

The bottom line is -- why WOULD locals want to do something so touristy, especially considering they've certainly done it already at least once? But why WOULDN'T tourists want to do something so touristy? Doesn't seem like such a complicated question at all to me.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM

Doesn't seem like a tough question to me either. Locals WOULDN'T go there. Tourists would, and I don't think thats so awful. To each his own.

The disturbing thing to me about the comments sometimes made in regard to Fisherman's Wharf is that they seem to infer that those who choose to visit the wharf (and end up enjoying it) are somehow themselves tacky, cheap and trinkety.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM

I took my "kids" (age 19 & 25) for Christmas and we stayed a couple of nights in Fisherman's Wharf. We had a blast. By the way we used the 'gosanfrancisco' card and many of the attractions were included, Alcatraz, hop on/off bus, Wax museum, a harbor cruise, etc.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM

patrick: I hardly ever go to Times Square in NYC, preferring Upper manhattan - Lincoln center and the Museums are more my pace, so don't know anything about the "controversies" on Times Square - and don't want to. Broadway shows just haven't become my cuppa.

As for the locals vs tourists distinction, you may have a point there. However, as resident of the Bay Area, I'll confess to liking certain things about Fisherman's Wharf.

1) As artlover had mentioned - the Chocolate Factory. I'm a CF junkie.

2) The Maritime Museum, particularly the ships that are docked there on the pier. It's the only Maritime Museum in the US with "live" ships and boats on display in the water.

3) The art galleries - just to peek.

4) The shoreline just behind the Maritime Museum and below Fort Mason - so calming just to sit and watch the waves lap ashore.

5) Best of all, the little Catholic chapel dedicated to the Sailors and Fishermen lost at sea.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM

easy-t,

I also love the Maritime Museum. Especially the exhibit showing the teeny wooden boat that was sailed across the Pacific by a Japanese sailor in the '60s. But somehow I just don't consider that stretch of the shore as being part of Fisherman's Wharf. It's the hardcore stretch with all the other tacky diversions at which I hurl the ephithet Fisherman's Barf.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM

Gimme a break! Hyping Fisherman's Wharf, but not any particular joint? Read the OP again.

"...an excellent seafood restaurant called Scoma’s. Highly recommended!

Indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -