San Francisco's DeYoung Museum

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco's DeYoung Museum

I've been reading a few minor reviews here and other places about folks who have already been since the opening last weekend. It sounds like this remodeled museum is going to be one of the jewels of the city.

I just read a review in the Bay Area Reporter that makes it sound terrific.(http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article...ere&article=16)

Best excerpt:
"The view from the much-maligned tower is also free to the public. Up on the observation deck, you see the reason for the tower's torque, which aligns the top floor with San Francisco's street grid. Be prepared for an entirely new and spectacular SF vista, over the tops of trees in the Park, out to the Pacific, East to downtown, North to the Golden Gate Bridge."

So who has been? Was it too crowded? Deciding on whether to hit this new hot spot sooner or wait until things cool down later.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
SAB

Went for a members preview two weekends ago--view from the Tower is lovely, day and evening and I'm one of those who was not in favor of it since it's main purpose is a tourist attraction. BTW you can get a similar, higher view from UC Med Center in Parnassus Heights, but not many tourists go there voluntarily. Anyway with that disclaimer, since the museum insisted on a tower, at least it is an interesting design. I was very impressed with the exterior architecture and the interior. Exterior is more interesting the closer you get, especially when you start to see the patterns stamped into the copper. Interior is very well done--lots of beautiful finishes, use of wood, and interior gardens. The galleries are well done and display the deYoung's OK collection to its best advantage. Some lovely park vistas are incorporated and the cafe is quite nice, also nice park view.

My review: It is well worth a visit to see, but don't expect to be blown away by the actual art. As far as crowds, hard to judge. It, and the Park, was jammed last weekend because it was the free opening and beautiful weather. Now people have to pay, who knows. Since the tower is free, I assume that on any beautiful Sunday, it will be a long wait.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Hi SFImporter, thanks for the review. I have some family members that were at the deYoung last weekend but haven't talked to them about their visit yet. The view sounds beautiful. I will miss the old museum but nothing remains the same does it? Take care.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM

I've heard nearly the same: the view is gorgeous, but not much more. I'll wait till they have an exhibit I want to visit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Nice view from the tower, but the tower cladding comes down too low for me (5'11"). No matter how close I get to the glass, I have it in my sight line.