Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Rose Pistola restaurant - Moose's - Anyone been to either - comments?

Search

San Francisco - Rose Pistola restaurant - Moose's - Anyone been to either - comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:44 AM
Janice

Staying 4 nights in S.F. in June. Have made a dinner reservation at Rose Pistola through Savvy Diner.com. Wondering if anyone has been there and what their comments are.

Am also considering Kuleto's or on a totally different cuisine front "Moose's".

Thanks for any insights. Also if you have any recommendations in the same vein and price range would love to hear them. There will be 4 of us for dinner at Rose Pistola and just me and partner for the other nights.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:00 AM
Caitlin

Frongale or LuLu, both south of Market; the latter has same chef-owner as Rose Pistola. Both are bistro-type menu.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:08 AM
John

Hi:

I have eaten at "Mooses". One of the best meals that I had ever had in SF. A bit expensve....but worth it!!

JOHN

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:00 PM
Caitlin

Oops, that should be Fringale, not Frongale! Also quite nice, though more expensive, is One Market.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 01:51 PM
Kathy

I've been to Rose Pistola and would have to say it's an overrated and overpriced restaurant. There are so many other great restaurants in San Francisco, that I would skip this one altogether.

Moose's has great food. However, it's a bit pricey. Nevertheless, it's a fun, if not crowded place to eat.

You mentioned Kuleto's. If you like seafood, McCormick & Kuleto's, which is at Ghirardelli Square, has wonderful food (more seafood choices than Italian food). I like this restaurant better than Kuleto's for its location. It was also designed by Pat Kuleto. There are two Kuleto's restaurants that I know of - one on the Peninsula, in Burlingame, and the other on Union Square. Another great seafood restaurant is Farrallon, which is at Union Square.

My favorite restaurant in the City is called Boulevard. Every dish there is wonderful!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 03:09 PM
Janice

Hi. Thanks for the info. I have been doing some due diligence on the restaurants in S.F. on the internet and have also come to the conclusion that Rose Pistola perhaps is NOT the place to go. Read some rather poor reviews. Too bad.

Moose's does sound good and most reviews I read were positive (although it is expensive).

What about a good sushi restaurant in the Lombard/Filmore area. The 4 of us love sushi (we are from Vancouver, B.C.). Somewhere where the freshness of the fish is foremost not the buzz in the room. Not that buzz isn't good too. Oh well we have 4 nights to hit and miss.

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:47 AM
kam

Have eaten at all---Rose Pistola just after it opened was wonderful, maybe it's become too popular too soon. Just had a dismal and very expensive meal at Farallon drink,but don't dine. The bar is an example of Pat Kuleto's style and very pleasant. Moose's was good, but not outstanding. Boulevard is just plain wonderful food--you'll never go wrong there. McCormick and Kuleto's is part of a West Coast mini chain but they do have a lovely location and great views as well as a good brunch. You might also look into Hawthorne Lane and the Fly Trap, SOMA. Jardinere is our current favorite, another Pat Kuleto's but over near the opera. And, we like Kuleto's on Powell Street--a nice bistro style place that we often take out of towners. Sorry, can't help with sushi!

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Janice

Thanks so much for your reply.

When you say McCormick and Kuleto's is part of a NW chain is that chain restaurant called "McCormick & Schmicks"? If so, I may try that one out as I had a very good seafood meal at McCormick & Schmicks in Las Vegas of all places.

Will now go and see what I can dig up on "Boulevard" and "Jardin".

Thanks again.

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Janice

Oops, I mean "Jardinere"!

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:18 PM
kam

Janice, Yes, it's the same as McCormick and Schmicks, except that the decor of the restaurant is done by Pat Kuleto, a very well known and popular restaurant designer here in SF. The food is consistently good in all the restaurants and this one, in Ghirardelli Square has a very pretty location with great views. Boulevard is always great. Jardiniere is the restaurant designed by Pat Kuleto in a historic building near the Civic Center. It's a bit out of the way for tourists and caters to the symphony/opera crowd, but has a lovely bar and great food. The chef is young Tracie DesJardins, a new star in SF. If you can't get a reservation at this date (we usually book about 3 weeks ahead during opera/symphony season) and still want to eat there, go and eat at the lovely bar.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:31 PM
sharon

ok, so i feel compelled to post a reply just because the other day when my husband asked me what restaurant i could eat at every day if i had to, i said, without a pause... rose pistola. we eat out on average 3 or 4 nights a week and on average the same number of lunches. i love the food and simply cannot get enough. granted we always try to go at off times (3PM for a midday meal) to avoid the crowds.

we also love fringale and lulu. moose's used to be much better than it is now... another favorite is MC2 (mc squared). great sushi can be found at sushi groove. yabbies has wonderful seafood.

you might want to try www.opentable.com to make your reservations. it has a lot of these restaurants listed and has helpful write-ups, too.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 10:34 PM
sharon

oooo. i almost forgot. for an unforgetable dinner for two, try either campton place or la folie. both have impeccable service (something quite rare in san francisco these days), and both do not suffer from that, too loud syndrom, that most other san francisco restaurants suffer from.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Janice

Sharon, thanks for your input. I haven't cancelled my dinner reservations for Rose Pistola so will be eating there on June 22nd. Although our reservation is for 4 people at 7:30 on a Thursday night ... could be busy. I also saw a piece on Rose Pistola on The Food Network the other night.

I'm going to have a look at the restaurant reservation site you mention and see what I can decide from there.

Again, thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely look into them.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:56 AM
sharon

janice,
another resource i like to use is the "the bay area's top 100 restuarants" they keep it up to date and change recommnedations as needed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=food

yes, i think rose pistola will be very crowded on a thursday night at 7:30... so set your expectations accordingly... it will be very loud, but the food and wine should not disappoint. i recommend a bottle of an italian white - they have some interesting ones to choose from.

have a great visit. on that date, we will be in germany, otherwise you may have seen us there

enjoy!

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 05:16 PM
Janice

Sharon, just wanted to let you know that the four of us had a lovely dinner at Rose Pistola. I had a pizza and the others all had fish. They raved about their fish. My pizza was also very good (excellent thin crust). We had 3 appetizers between us - grilled prawns, fava beans with peccorino, chopped salad. Yum. It was apparently not an overly busy night and we had a nice booth in the front of the restaurant. We also had the panna cotta (spelling?) for desert. It was DELICIOUS.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 07:31 AM
Ruth

Had brunch at a sister restaurant of Rose Pistola's last August, Black Cat, which was very good and fun, even we were about the only folks in the place at the time. I second the comments about Boulevard--our dinner there was outstanding. Food at Moose's was good a few years ago, but haven't been there in a while.