Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   San Francisco Restaurant Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/san-francisco-restaurant-recommendation-725798/)

swdke Aug 2nd, 2007 07:27 AM

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendation

Looking for San Francisco Restaurant Recommendation

To help with offering suggestions, I wish I could state what kind of food, or location I’d prefer, but generally we’re pretty much open for any suggestions. We’ll be in town on Labor Day, and after dinner will be making our way to the airport to return home. We’re simply looking for a fun way to end our holiday weekend before heading home. Generally, we’re looking for fun dining fun, good food, someplace typical for San Francisco cuisine, and different from what we have or can find at home. I guess if I had to select a type of food, then perhaps Italian or Seafood, but I don't want to limit my options. Good Sourdough bread would be a plus. Need a restaurant where the dress code is casual or casual dress, nothing too formal as we’re flying home after dinner. Maybe something with a view could be nice, but not required. I see that the Cliff House has great ocean views. I wonder what other restaurants might have views of the ocean, bay, or city. Again, although a restaurant with a view is appealing, it’s not necessary.

Wow! There is certainly a large quantity of restaurant choices to choose from, which is why I’ve come to you for help. What is your favorite, and why? If you’re a local, and were to have guest in from out of town, where would you, or do you, take them to experience a good, fun, popular San Francisco restaurant to top off their holiday weekend before heading home? We appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.

easytraveler Aug 2nd, 2007 08:00 AM

As you have noticed, there is a huge amount of restaurant choices in SF.

To help narrow things down a bit:

1) Will you have a car or will you be depending on the hotel shuttle?

2) Where are you going to be during the early part of the day? We don't want to suggest a restaurant clear across town and cost you unnecessary travel time. Union Square area? Fisherman's Wharf? Embarcadero? None of these?

3) For the better restaurants, you will have to make reservations for the Labor Day weekend.

Help us to help you! :)

cabovacation Aug 2nd, 2007 10:34 AM

San Francisco has so many wonderful restaurants that it would be impossible to answer the question. You will get many opinions.

I think Delfina is really quintessential San Francisco, but I could go on and on.

Why don't you go to opentable.com and read about the top ten restaurants and others and see if something hits you?

If you tell us about your location and transportation situation that might narrow it down - but taking a taxi is always easy, so location should not matter that much.

Jeangail Aug 2nd, 2007 10:43 AM

My advice is book NOW because I already got shut out of Slanted Door and Delfina for the Saturday night of Labor Day weekend as well as the Saturday before.

swdke Aug 2nd, 2007 11:21 AM

Thank you for your replies, and I appreciate your help. Yes, we will have a car and therefore able to drive to where we need to be. I agree that reservations may be required and anxious to book. As to what we will be doing earlier in the day, I am still working on that, and don't know at this time. However, where ever we dine, I figure on being there around 6 pm. Hoping that from where ever we dine, this will allow time for making our way to SFO airport after dinner in time for our 11 pm flight. Hope this helps you to help me. I realize it's difficult to make a recommendation based on the general information I've provided. I wish I can be more specific. I know there are hundreds of great choices, and it's not possible to make one recommendation when there are many good suggestions. I don't want to limit my options by stating I only want a particular type of food, or in a specific neighborhoood. Anyhow, any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I thank you for taking your time to post your recommendations.

suze Aug 2nd, 2007 11:39 AM

I like this group of restaurants on an alleyway in the financial district.
www.belden-place.com

I've also had fun meals (while touristy) down around Fisherman's Wharf.

FainaAgain Aug 2nd, 2007 12:07 PM

I take out-of-towners to Sinbad... don't know about parking, though... it's on the right side of the ferry building

http://www.sinbadsrestaurant.com/

The food is very good, and the view of Bay Bridge, and the ferries.

SAB Aug 2nd, 2007 03:45 PM

How about Italian Seafood? I took a quick look at Open Table and there are not many restaurants with availability even at 6:00 on Labor Day--something like over 230 with no availability. But Pesce a lovely Italian Seafood restaurant does have tables available.

golpher Aug 2nd, 2007 04:01 PM

Italian - Kuleto's at Union Square is very good. Old restaurant that still has it. Great feel of SF. Open Table for reservations.

Seafood - McCormick and Kuleto's at Ghiradelli Square. Very good seafood and fantastic view of SF bay. Again, Open Table for reservations.

Have fun!

Parrothead Aug 2nd, 2007 06:59 PM

I don't know where you live so it's difficult to find something that you can't find at home, as is one of your criteria. But I'd have to guess you have nothing at home like:

Foreign Cinema
A16
Kokkari
Chez Spencer
Silks
Farallon

Any of these would make for a memorable final dinner in SF.

kimamom Aug 3rd, 2007 08:18 AM

Farallon gets my vote for seafood. A very fun restaurant in Union Square with great food, ambiance and service. :)

Boulevard is also very good for dinner, down by the Embarcadero area. ***kim*** ((f))

swdke Aug 3rd, 2007 11:26 AM

Wow, thank you for all the responses. All these restaurants look wonderful, great choices. Thanks for sharing.

zorrosf Aug 3rd, 2007 01:02 PM

Two places that are mentioned frequently on this board for "quintessential SF-type" restos, are Tadich Grill (no reservations, no dress code, excellent fish and sourdough) and Aziza (Moroccan-Californian). You will definitely need a reservation for Aziza, but (alas) no sourdough!

SFImporter Aug 9th, 2007 03:01 PM

Oh my goodness! FainaAgain?! Sinbad's?! That is the worst restaurant. Nice view of the Bay Bridge - but otherwise it's like a time-warp to 1974 (macrame plant-hangers, old tablecloths and all). And the life-size Sinbad dummy at the entrance - with the fake chest hair?

I've always thought that place could make a fortune if they dumped some money into it.

On the bright side - and it won't be open by the time the top poster will be visiting - further down the Embarcadero (walking distance from Ferry Plaza) is a new restaurant complex being built by Pat Kuleto. Should be nice and have wonderful views when it's done. It's rumored to be two restaurants - one fancy and one more low-key.